We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for opinions or suggestions on sites to see

Coopersburg...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Looking for opinions or suggestions on sites to see

My husband and I and our two boys, 14 and 16, are planning a trip to AZ for early spring, probably March. We are traveling from PA. Two years ago we visited for 10 days, spent most of our time in Sedona, with an overnight in Page and an overnight at the Grand Canyon. We had an amazing time and did so much! Ever since we've been talking about going back and heading south rather than north. That's our plan this time. We will be flying into Phoenix and spending a few days in Tucson, thinking maybe 4 or 5 as there seems like a ton of things to do in that area. We will be heading to Sedona again for a few of the days probably at the tail end of the trip (we have a family member who has a vacation home here that we stay in for free, so we are going to take advantage of that again). My question is other than Tucson and Sedona, is there anywhere we should consider spending more than just a day trip? We want to see Tombstone and possibly Bisbee but I am not sure if those are more day trips, or worth staying overnight? In any case, if there are any places that I am completely missing that are worth spending more than a day I'd love to hear about it. About us... outdoors, wildlife, hiking, stargazing, birding, and natural sites are what we love. Shopping and restaurants are not a priority for us :) If there are any "in the desert" nature oriented interesting lodging options I'd love to hear about that as well. I just want to make it super memorable for my boys. Thanks!

Patania's
Gift & Speciality Shops
Antigone Books
Gift & Speciality Shops
Celestial Rites
Gift & Speciality Shops
18 replies to this topic
USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
16,379 posts
30 reviews
11. Re: Looking for opinions or suggestions on sites to see

The Pima Air and Space Museum is a real gem if you are into aircraft and history. A couple of trips ago I visited the Museum and spent the entire day there, including going on the Boneyard Tour. We then went back two days later to "finish" up.

ZB also mentioned Catalina State Park and it is not to miss in my opinion. Saguaro East is my favorite place to hike, Catalina is second. They have numerous shorter trails that are fun, plus others as well. Sabino Canyon is nice as well, I never liked the tram though and it can get busy there.

I still haven't tried Guadalajara Grill on Prince, still on my list for a future trip. But I'll add another suggestion for Mexican food, El Minuto.

https://www.elminutotucson.com

TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
12. Re: Looking for opinions or suggestions on sites to see

Ramsey Canyon

https:/…

Madera Canyon

www.friendsofmaderacanyon.org/birding.html

Best birding places around

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
117 reviews
13. Re: Looking for opinions or suggestions on sites to see

Welcome back ZB - hadn't seen any of your posts in a while. Hope you're doing well.

We also love the Guadalajara Grill on Prince, but since it's so far from us, we usually go to the one on Oracle that is owned by the same family and have found it to be very good as well - especially the made-to-order salsa.

Edited: 11 September 2018, 03:02
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,292 posts
106 reviews
14. Re: Looking for opinions or suggestions on sites to see

Guadalajara Grill on Prince has a good happy hour. I believe it's only in the bar area though. But you do get the same fresh salsas. I think you could do a lot better for Mexican food, but it's fine for that part of town if you're there and don't want to drive very far.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
660 reviews
15. Re: Looking for opinions or suggestions on sites to see

Happy Hour is everywhere both inside and on the patio and bar at the Guadalajara at Prince and indeed the salsa made to order at the table is excellent and you have to be very sure you do not fill up on them because surely the best is yet to come.

Regarding Sabino, there is now NO Tram at all, so it is very quiet, only bikes and hikers, period. We go almost every morning to enjoy the hike, the desert, and most of all the quiet around 630 to 8 AM.

Yes, great to be back!

ZB

USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
16,379 posts
30 reviews
16. Re: Looking for opinions or suggestions on sites to see

Agreed, good to see you back ZB.

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
17. Re: Looking for opinions or suggestions on sites to see

Your boys might like the Pima Air Museum and the Titan Missile Museum.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
912 posts
234 reviews
18. Re: Looking for opinions or suggestions on sites to see

My husband and I just returned from Tucson and visited both the Titan Missile Museum and The PIMA Air & Space Museum. I highly recommend both, but would lean more towards the PIMA Air & Space Museum. If there is any interest in aircraft this is a must see! The 1.5 hr long Boneyard Tour is fantastic! You have to book this at least 10 days or more before your planned visit as the tour is on an airforce base and you'll need to be cleared with the security. You cannot show up at the museum that day and take the tour,

Reply to: Looking for opinions or suggestions on sites to see
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted