We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lubec Maine area Dog Friendly??

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lubec Maine area Dog Friendly??

Hello...Looking to go to Lubec Maine area in September. Have never been there before wondering if there is plenty of dog friendly hikes/beaches?? Would also like to camp any good pointers on the best place I found Cobscook State Park and South Bay Campground. Thanks So Much

8 replies to this topic
lubec maine
Level Contributor
131 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lubec Maine area Dog Friendly??

Lubec is very dog friendly. There is a board walk behind the school which leads to Mowry Beach. It is breathtaking. Lived here my life & Still find it so.

Quoddy Head trails you would need a leash as it follows the rocky coast line. Cobscoop Park is wonderful. Campsites on the water. About 20 minutes from Lubec., South Bay is in Lubec and very small but panaramic view of the ocean. You can walk in town to several great seafood restaurants. So proud to be a Lubecer!

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lubec Maine area Dog Friendly??

Thank you so much LynneLubec :) Which campground would you recommend for us?? If you have anymore hidden treasures for people with dogs I would love to hear them :)

Thanks Again

Liza

lubec maine
Level Contributor
131 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lubec Maine area Dog Friendly??

Hi Liza,

Mowary Beach is about 2 miles long sandy beach. Not good to go at low tide as dogs LOVE to roll in the clam flats! The restaurants downtown have outside decks & I believe dogs are allowed outside. Personally I love Cobscook. The little campground in Lubec is about a mile from downtown so its a great walk. The library downtown has alot of nice local artwork. All 3 restaurants all have music. Sat night at Waterstreet there was a 2 piece jazz band. Very nice. Franks has the best food & you can take your own wine!!

Campobello is fun to visit as well, Herring Cove has a beautiful beach as well to walk your dogs!!

Are you from Maine? What breed are your dogs??

Lynne :)

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lubec Maine area Dog Friendly??

Hello Lynne... We live in Vermont and go to Old Orchard, Ogunquit area a couple times a year. But we decided to go someplace new for our 15 year anniversary. I think we are going to stay at cobscook bay state park unless you think the other is better? We have one yellow lab Maggie she is 10 years old and loves the beach. So anyway can't wait till our trip. Thanks for all your extra information :)

Liza :)

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lubec Maine area Dog Friendly??

A word of caution -- If you're going over to Campobello anytime during your trip, remember to bring your passports or passport cards so you don't run into problems getting back into the U.S. (Campobello is in Canada).

Also -- be sure to check the Customs and Immigration Service rules and regulations re: bringing your dog back into the U.S. from Canada -- it used to be that you needed at least proof of current innoculations....but we haven't taken a dog into Canada since 9-11 so don't know if any other rules have been added or not.... Last thing you need is going to Canada and having your dog put into a two-week quarantine on the way back due to lack of propoer documentation....

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lubec Maine area Dog Friendly??

Thanks Lynne....We dont have passports yet, so we didnt plan on going into Canada anyway. But thanks for the info. We figure we will find enough to do around there or maybe we will take a vacation were we actually just relax :)

Cant wait to check out the places you told me about!!!

Liza

lubec maine
Level Contributor
131 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lubec Maine area Dog Friendly??

Liza,

That sounds lovey!! Yes proof of vaccination is all you need for your dog. Freq. Customs will let you go over for a visit if you ask before going to Campobello with just a drivers license. The Campobello side doesn't require anything. But you are right,its very relaxing so different than old orchard. (We have a 9 year old golden retriever, Ginger & a ?2 year old border collie mix.Sophie) Eastport which is about 30 min up rt 1 from Cobscook is very nice too. Lots of little marine & antique stores. trails along the water & several restaurants you can sit on the dock & eat with your dog(Chowder House). There is a boat type ferry that leaves from Lubec to Eastport every other hour. Lots of seals play in the tide.

I think I should do a Lubec advertisement.!!!

Have a great anniversary!!

Lynne

Maine
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lubec Maine area Dog Friendly??

Not only are the Lubec trails and people dog friendly, but so is The Eastland Motel : )

Heather and Glen

Reply to: Lubec Maine area Dog Friendly??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted