We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time in Estes Park

United States
Level Contributor
80 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
How much time in Estes Park

We are planning to visit Estes Park end of June 2012. How much time would you recommend visiting the park. We would like to do some sightseeing and a little hiking.

Thank you

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,366 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How much time in Estes Park

The Estes Park Rocky Mountain National Park area is wonderful, and we can easily spend a week there, so much to do. There are tons of great family friendly hikes and so many interesting ranger guided walks and hikes if you are there high summer season (offereings a little more minimal at the beginning of June). These are so interesting and inspiring. Family friendly walks and hiking are definately strong suites for this place. The Bear Lake area is our favorite -- all those beautiful pristine alpine lakes. And, of course, you need to take a day to trip up Trail Ridge road, stopping at all the lookouts on the way there and back. My personal preference is to always stay here a full week. I think RMNP is my favorite place in the whole world. I like it better than Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Zion, Bryce, Banff, Jasper, South Rim of the Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc. and I do love those places too. What is so cool about RMNP is that it is just the right size. You spend lots of time on the trails with minimal time in your car. You spend so much time driving in some of those other really big parks. Here you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere (Well in God's country so maybe not the middle of nowhere), but you can get to the Safeway in town for supplies in just 20 minutes. If it were me, I'd stay here the entire week.

You'll have a wonderful time whether you spend a few days for a full week I'm sure, though.

Flower Mound, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How much time in Estes Park

Fv,

It looks on a map like one can continue on Rte 14 over the Divide and eventually take a left at Co Rte 27 (not the same 27 as you indicate above) follow that for 20 miles or so connecting to Rte 125 at Rand. Rte 125 then takes one to Grandby from where you can come back to Estes over Trail Ridge. That looks to be a pretty long drive, though, but looks to be off the beaten path. Have you or anyone you know done that?

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How much time in Estes Park

Crip, see this link. What you are describing is one of the alternate routes from Estes to Grand Lake via Cameron Pass when Trail Ridge Road is closed. nps.gov/romo/…trr_alternate_routes_2009.pdf

I have not made this trip to Grand Lake. I have gone to and from Steamboat Springs on Highway 14. Generally when I take people on a tour of the Cache La Poudre Scenic Byway, I turn around at the Moose Visitor Center. Coming from Fort Collins, I will drive from the beginning of the canyon to the Moose VC and then back down the canyon to CR69 at Rustic (dirt road) over to Red Feather Lakes. Then I take 74E (Red Feather Lakes Road) to 287 and back to Fort Collins. This is a long trip in the car but there are lots of scenic areas to stop and see. I have to emphasize that there are few amenities along this route. Have a full tank of gas. Much of this area is "No Man's Land."

There are some great hiking trails along the Poudre Byway. The best source for info is www.poudrewildernessvolunteers.org/trails

You can also visit Colorado State Forest. …state.co.us/parks/stateforest/Pages/StateFo…

United States
Level Contributor
80 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How much time in Estes Park

We tried to visit Cache La Poudre scenic byway today (June 29). We

could only do part of Cache La Poudre. The main part of the scenic byway

(Hwy 14) is closed between Hwy 287 and Rustic because of the fires. There

is no access to Hwy14 from Masonville either. What we did instead is

to take Hwy 34 from Estes Park to Fort Collins, taking a left onto College

Avenue, which is 287. Then take 287 North to 74E (left on 74E). Then left onto Boy Scouts Road (68C), which is unpaved. 68C then terminates at Hwy 14 at Rustic. Hwy 14 from Rustic to Gould is still open.

-Bizlee

PS, thank you fv1989 for all your help!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How much time in Estes Park

Yes, unfortunately the Cache La Poudre Scenic Byway has been impacted by the High Park Fire. The good news is that fire is now 95% contained and full containment is expected by the end of this weekend. I will drive the byway once it is reopened and report back. I have suggested this day trip to other people on the forum. I hope they have seen the reports about the fire and are not attempting to drive the byway.

I know you were planning to go to Colorado Springs and the Springs has been affected by fire as well.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How much time in Estes Park

If you need alternate plans, let us know. The Estes/highway 7 to Lyons through South St. Vrain Canyon/back to Estes on highway 36 loop is a very pretty drive and this route is not impacted by any fires.

17. Re: How much time in Estes Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 03:46