We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round trip from Denver in 1 day via Peak to Peak Byway?

California
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Round trip from Denver in 1 day via Peak to Peak Byway?

First I'd like to apologize for asking what is probably a very common question but I am completely researched out for several different travel trips we are taking this year and I find myself rather confused & a bit overwhelmed when reading all of the forums for RMNP particularly since I don't have a good sense of the region and want to make the most of our limited time.

This is our first trip to Colorado. We are staying in Denver for 4 nights. We only have one full day to explore the scenery of the area (Friday, June 29th).

My first thought is we could drive from Denver via the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway to Estes Park. If there is sufficient time once we arrive, we can pay to enter the park and explore from there but is that the best plan? And what would be recommended once we arrive at RMNP mid to late afternoon? I understand that the park gets very crowded and we would not be able to arrive super early in the day... We are not avid hikers but do enjoy easy scenic trails while photographing wildflowers (!!), wildlife, picnicking etc.

What would be your recommendation for a full day trip - round trip from Denver on June 29th?

Thanks in advance for your help!

4 replies to this topic
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
13,023 posts
136 reviews
1. Re: Round trip from Denver in 1 day via Peak to Peak Byway?

You will find this recent topic helpful.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33388…

California
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Round trip from Denver in 1 day via Peak to Peak Byway?

Thanks FV1989 for your reply and links.

Do you happen to have a suggestion for best location to photograph wildflowers at the end of June?

Colorado
Level Contributor
13,023 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Round trip from Denver in 1 day via Peak to Peak Byway?

Are you asking about wildflowers in RMNP?

Lower elevations will have flowers then. The Cub Lake trail should be good at that time.

I would ask the Rangers at the Visitor Center when you get there. They will know what is blooming and where.

More info here: https:/…

Colorado
Level Contributor
13,023 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Round trip from Denver in 1 day via Peak to Peak Byway?

Alpine flowers are already in bloom!

I just read this post on Facebook: Wildflowers of Colorado

It was a delight to see many Alpine flowers blooming today at the Black Forest Overlook (11,900 ft) on Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. The lovely blue Alpine Forget-me-not (Eritrichium nanum) is one of my favorites. Also seen here are yellow Snow Buttercup (Ranunculus adoneus), purple Fairy Primrose (Primula angustifolia), and white Wild Candytuft (Noccaea fendleri).

Reply to: Round trip from Denver in 1 day via Peak to Peak Byway?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Estes Park