We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorcycle Routes

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Motorcycle Routes

Planning a motorcycle ride in New Mexico for 3 days in May 2011. Aimlessly looking at road maps is proving endless. Anybody got some must see roads/sites? Currently planning to fly into ABQ.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorcycle Routes

I'm not an expert but I imagine from ABQ the Turquoise Trail (Hwy 14 north out of Tijeras to Madrid and Cerrillos toward Santa Fe) would be one. "South 14" (now 337 south out of Tijeras to Tajique, Gran Quivera Nat'l Mon., Mountainair, etc.--can loop back via Abo, Belen, Los Lunas & Isleta) would be another. Jemez Hwy 4 would be a third (with stop at Los Ojos in Jemez Springs--would fit right in; get to 550 at Bernalillo/Santa Ana reservation via 313 or go through Corrales). How far planning to go? Colorado? Any destinations in mind?

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorcycle Routes

Thanks! I'll see if I can find those routes. No special destination. I've just never been to New Mexico and thought a 2-3 day ride would give me a good look around.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorcycle Routes

If I recall correctly, NM14 and Madrid were featured in the comedy "Wild Hogs."

NM 152, which runs from I-25 south of Truth or Consequences west to Silver City is a beautiful twisty-turny mountain road through the Gila Wilderness. Silver City is about 4 hours from ABQ. I'm not sure that you can fit it into your plans, but if you can, you should.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorcycle Routes

The New Mexico Scenic Byways site gives maps and descriptions of 26 byways... lots of ideas there for someone on a bike...

www.byways.org/explore/states/NM/maps.html

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motorcycle Routes

Tens of thousands of bikers make their way through Taos between May and October each year with a few big rallies up here at Red River and Taos Ski Valley.

The "Enchanted Circle" and the "High Road to Taos" are two terms to Google. Our biker guests LOVE those rides. The ride west on U.S. 64 to Tierra Amarilla and Chama is also pretty spectacular. Really sweet rides.

6. Re: Motorcycle Routes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 12:09