We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick up in Las Vegas, drop off in Salt Lake

NY
Level Contributor
267 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pick up in Las Vegas, drop off in Salt Lake

Hi all,

Our trip is starting in Las Vegas and ending up in Salt Lake, and we'd like explore the Salt Lake City area and a couple of national parks.

Of course, I am having a problem with the rental car p/u and d/o, as it's either not allowed (no salt lake drop off available) or at least with one company, it has a fairly steep drop off fee.

Is there something I'm missing? Are we better off driving back and forth? I don't mind the driving, but given the gas prices, I'm trying to plan carefully.

Thank you.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pick up in Las Vegas, drop off in Salt Lake

I don't think you are missing anything, these are typical issues with a one-way car rental. You might get lucky with a one way rental, if you do a bit more research with the rental providers.

What many folks do is try to develop a loop route, and there are options for loops from either Las Vegas or Salt Lake City. However, if you want to include both LV and SLC in your plans, and avoid the one-way drop-off hassles, then some amount of back tracking (additional driving) is required.

Check the Top Questions in the Utah forum (right hand side of the page) the first item is "How can I see all the parks in southern Utah?" and has suggestions for loop routes from LV or SLC. There are links to maps and smaple itineraries.

How much time to you have for your trip?

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pick up in Las Vegas, drop off in Salt Lake

We are renting in Salt Lake City and dropping off in Las Vegas. There is a $100 charge with Hertz, which I think is reasonable given that it would cost us that much plus in gas to drive back to Salt Lake City.

I see you are in the United States so you probably don't have this issue. We live in the Caribbean and need to buy liability insurance when we rent because what we have on our car here isn't adequate for the United States. We found that Hertz's all inclusive plan works out best because it includes all fees, the liability insurance and collision. I just did a search at Hertz and the drop off fee is the same in both directions. It's 20 percent off for pickups by May 31. Last year, I got a deal with 25 percent off, but no luck this year.

I also searched without the all inclusive and it's still $100 to drop off. It also looks like the all inclusive makes it much cheaper than paying the taxes. That doesn't even include the liability, which we'd need to by.

Hope this helps.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,867 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pick up in Las Vegas, drop off in Salt Lake

One-ways are expensive, that's just a fact of life. It's worth shopping, though, to see if there's a company that doesn't have a fee but that's rare. There are also two ways you can get charged: a drop fee and/or an increased daily rate. It's worth to shop rates if you just rented and returned at the same location to know what the market rate is for the rental. Even thought SLC and LAS are relatively close and reasonably sized markets, one-ways without additional cost are uncommon.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pick up in Las Vegas, drop off in Salt Lake

You don't mention your dates, so I don't know if this will be of any help. Through the end of June, Hertz has a "driveout of Arizona" special with some incredible rates, as low as $5 a day. You must drop in one of several states (Utah is one). I know you are beginning in Las Vegas, which won't work, but depending on the scope of your overall trip, it might be worth taking a look at starting in AZ.

I can't paste a url right now, but you can find info on the Hertz website under Coupons, then Destination Deals.

NY
Level Contributor
267 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pick up in Las Vegas, drop off in Salt Lake

Thank you all.

Originally it was going to be June, however, we're postponing until Sept or Oct. But it will be the same general itinerary.

That said, when is a good time to start planning? Im pretty much already in the planning stages. :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,457 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pick up in Las Vegas, drop off in Salt Lake

Sept and Oct is a very popular time to visit since its usually cooler and more stable weather. If you are talking about Sept/Oct of 2012 you should start your planning now and book something for Hotels ASAP for National Parks.

You may have a hard time even getting a reservation as places will be booked up to a year in advance at places like Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon and Grand Canyon, just to name a few.

And you may have to call direct and keep checking back with them to even find availability.

Edited: 30 April 2012, 20:31
7. Re: Pick up in Las Vegas, drop off in Salt Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:13