We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Bedford last weekend of June with a teenage son

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
New Bedford last weekend of June with a teenage son

Hi, I'm contemplating on a short trip in New Bedford the last weekend of June before my son (14 yo) takes off to a month-long residential summer camp in upper MA. We are from upstate NY.

I thought exploring National Park Service and Whasling Museum ... discovering the history of whaling in museum is on my mind, but I also realize that the city is right on the ocean. Should we take a ferry to Martha's Vineyard since we are in the area? I realize it's a famous spot but I was wondering if it's worth our time. I am afraid we don't have plenty of time to relax on the island.

I also have a free science museum access to Oceanographic Institute in Wood Hole - I'm wondering if I can take a ferry to get there from New Bedford. It seems like the ferry existed at one point - does it still run? If so, can you provide a link to ferry fare and schedule? Ferry sounds like an easy way to enjoy the ocean .. what do you think? ...should we check out beaches? What do you do on beaches in June? I'm guessing it'll be still too cold to swim ...

I think seafood will be delightful - can someone recommend a delicious, cheap eats? we are budget travelers .. I read in another forum post that Portuguese restaurants are great - are they teen/family-friendly establishments?

Is the city safe to walk around at night?

A good place to stay? Not expensive, but a clean place to stay?

Any suggestions/recommendations will be appreciated ... I think we have one full day, and half a day in a.m.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
11. Re: New Bedford last weekend of June with a teenage son

Thank you for suggestions - I will keep these info for future references!

12. Re: New Bedford last weekend of June with a teenage son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2017, 13:48
Get answers to your questions about New Bedford