We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Denver, CO to Keystone, SD

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Denver, CO to Keystone, SD

We fly out of Los Angeles area into Denver, CO mid August and plan to drive from there to SD and spend time in Keystone/Rapid City area. I mapped it at a 6 hour drive. I was wondering if anyone knew if that estimate is accurate and whether there is a good town 1/2 to stop and spend time/or the night in. I have a 9 year old with a lot of energy and he would do better with some activity in the middle of our drive. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,362 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Denver, CO to Keystone, SD

We've done that drive but with older kids- only stops that I can think of and that we've done are in Cheyenne or in Lusk, Wyoming. Cheyenne is state capital and we walked around the squares, ate some dinner and spent the night. Just stopped in Lusk for a short break.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Denver, CO to Keystone, SD

I have not done the drive, but based on others who have posted on here, the time is accurate. Most do opt to do the entire drive in one day, but you could stop in Cheyenne. Does your son enjoy electronic devices? I was just wondering if they'd keep him entertained, or maybe even a dvd player?? Our daughter liked the dvd player when she was younger.

Black Hills, SD
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Denver, CO to Keystone, SD

You could stop in Hot Springs SD one night. It is about 5 hrs from Denver. About an hour N of Lusk WY, you will see the sign to Hot Springs SD. They have Evans Plunge, an enclosed hot springs pool w/water slides, Tarzan rings & more. Good hotels are the Budget Host Hills Inn or the Stay USA. The Vault, Woolys or Bumpers have great food. The Mammoth Site is great also. You can take your time the next day through Wind Cave Park (lots of buffalo & prarie dogs), Custer State Park, Iron Mtn Rd (go S to N for the best view) and still be in Keystone comfortably rested in an easy day.

Denver Area
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Denver, CO to Keystone, SD

I agree with blackhillsbeauty. Stop in Hot Springs, SD. See the mammoth site, and any other attractions there, go through Custer State Park and definitely, definitely, definitely go on Iron Mtn Rd. There are some GREAT views of Mt. Rushmore from some very unique vantage points along the route, with beautiful scenery all the way.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Denver, CO to Keystone, SD

Fastest way is via Lusk but with a rest stop it takes longer than 6 hours to RC. Beter count on 7.

Another route gets you through Nebraska via Scottsbluff. You'll find places like Scottsbluff NM, Agate Fossil Beds NM, Fort Robinson SP and Museum of the Fur Trade near Chadron on your way. But it will take a lot longer then of course.

If you are interested you even can drive via Alliance and see Carhenge. I'm sure your boy will like it! In that case take I76 to co113 to Sidney and us385 all the way to Alliance, Chadron and Hot Springs.

Tet

6. Re: Driving from Denver, CO to Keystone, SD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 18:10