We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing a grandchild.

Level Contributor
155 posts
7 reviews
Bringing a grandchild.

We are bringing our grandaughter next year for her first trip abroad,does anyone know the procedure is I.e a letter from the mother etc,your help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
776 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Bringing a grandchild.

Yes definitely include a letter from the child's mother. Most people don't have a problem but I've heard stories of people having issues.

When we went a few years ago the immigration officer at passport control made a comment about my friend having a different surname to her son and his Dad hadn't travelled. Nothing came of it luckily.

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
214 reviews
2. Re: Bringing a grandchild.

I agree with chezza100 - the chances are that you won't need it, but best to have a letter from a parent just in case. I've heard of a few people being stopped and questioned when travelling in similar circumstances, especially if the child has a different surname.

Level Contributor
155 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Bringing a grandchild.

Many thanks,I thought as much as I a heard the same stories,because she has a different surname I thought it better to gain advise.

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
214 reviews
4. Re: Bringing a grandchild.

The way I look at these things is that you are better to have it and not need it - and not have it and then be asked to produce it...

Edited: 30 September 2016, 20:06
Scotland
Level Contributor
322 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Bringing a grandchild.

We took one of the daughters pals a few years ago and took a letter from the mother. The pal had a Turkish father (Izmir) and it was agreed before we took her he wouldn't be told she was there. Well Facebook posts from her put paid to that and he certainly wasn't chuffed she was in Turkey without him knowing. We were terrified returning to Dalaman incase he'd took out a court order to prevent her from leaving, thankfully he hadn't.

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Bringing a grandchild.

I took my 10yr old grandson back in June this year and we have different surnames. We flew with jet2 and was asked for a letter from parents on checkin desk. Never was asked at visa control in turkey. Was asked again when we landed in Leeds/Bradford by customs even asking my grandson who I was. So yes you need a letter from parents. Giving you permission to take your grandchild on holiday the name and address of hotel. Dates of holiday. Also it's a good idea for parents to put contact details of themselfs on letter. Signed by both parents. I also took my grandsons full birth certificate which had perents names on although never asked for It I took it just in case. Hope this helps you

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
199 reviews
7. Re: Bringing a grandchild.

Might also be an idea to put parents passport numbers etc on the letter which is what we did when bringing our kids friends abroad.

Also don't forget to have the parents take a photo of the child's passport on their mobiles and have an email copy readily available in the event that it goes missing (it's actually a good idea for everyone to do this).

8. Re: Bringing a grandchild.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2017, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations