We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre paid travel card or cash

Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Pre paid travel card or cash

Hi All

Heading to icmeler 30th July. I was planning on just taking pounds and exchanging it when we are there.

Would it be easier and better for me to use one of the pre paid travel cards instead?

Thanks

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
418 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre paid travel card or cash

We always take cash, better exchange rate over there.

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre paid travel card or cash

Yes, we always take cash and change it there too - but don't use the actual change offices, who are notorious for ripping people off. Change it in the bars/restaurants or mini-markets instead. Just ask what rate they are offering and watch them count out the cash in front of you.

Campbeltown, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre paid travel card or cash

Last year for the first time I loaded up a Caxton FX card and withdrew Sterling at the bank ATM's and changed this in the bars and supermarkets. I have to say it worked in my favour and I will be doing it again this year.

Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre paid travel card or cash

Thanks for the relies everyone.

Blondiescot, when taking pounds. I assume it's English notes you take? Might sound like a fact question but do you order them via the bank?

As I know you get a better value with English notes over Scottish notes

FALKIRK
Destination Expert
for Marmaris, Armutalan
Level Contributor
18,196 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre paid travel card or cash

Yeh dont take our Scottish notes order English Sterling from your bank most have a decent amount of them in the bank as well.

Stevie

Rosyth
Level Contributor
411 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre paid travel card or cash

Do a mixture of the two if you're not happy with carrying wads of cash or using your debit card. Get a Caxton FX card and load Sterling onto it and withdraw Sterling at the cash machines. That's what I do and never had any issues, and if you lose it, you get a new one delivered to your hotel next day for £5. You can also track the balance from the app on your phone. It's very handy.

Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre paid travel card or cash

We take a small amount of Lira to get us to resort, tip for taxi, couple of bottles of water, air conditioning etc. We have a Halifax Clarity card which we have found is best, we withdraw Lira and found that the rate was better than in resort at times, other times we withdraw Sterling and change in shops, we also pay for meals with the card.

We Pay the Card off as soon as we return home and have found that the interest charged on cash withdrawn is extremely low.

Its worked well for us and means you are not holding large amounts of cash.

Edited: 10 May 2016, 22:28
southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre paid travel card or cash

We use the clarity card as well as we get more lira to the pound from the atm

Glasgow, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre paid travel card or cash

Revolut card prepaid updates and top up with your phone , you get the the bank rate and you can block and active card . used it in orlando amazin going to icmeler in september will use it there and no charges what so ever

Edited: 18 May 2016, 19:46
10. Re: Pre paid travel card or cash

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2017, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations