We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday money

Level Contributor
185 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday money

Does anyone think it would be best to get holiday spends changed here now instead of waiting, I don't go till sept??

Glasgow
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday money

I always take a couple of hundred worth of lira for first few days and shop around in the resort to get best rate last year I got my best rate at Wembley bar 4.65

Level Contributor
185 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday money

Thanks, where abouts is Wembley bar as is a few years since I visited Icmeler?

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday money

If you take the road up towards the old village past Romance, you will come to a crossroads and the Wembley Bar is just opposite. Depending on where you are staying though, there should be somewhere close by which will give you a decent rate.

Level Contributor
185 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday money

Thanks we are staying at the Faber . I'm sure I will find it!!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,896 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday money

I check out 3 or 4 bars nearest to my hotel on the first day or two.

Last trip at the Mirage World. I got my best rate at a bar a couple of doors along from the hotel.

That wasn't luck.

I told the manager i had checked rates at other places that were "better" than he was offering

He said he would match the"better" rate i found.

He "scored" anyway,as i was in his bar most days for drinks and ate there a few times too.

.I may have got a better rate elsewhere, of course.

But for all the savings i would have made, would it justify tramping all round the resort for the sake of a couple of lira;-) ?

Our previous stay at the isolated, yet lovely Forest Suites, we got a decent deal at Tommy's restaurant ....saved long walks or dolmus trip into centre of resort.

Next trip is the Fortuna Beach (a fair bit from Tommy's;-) ) so i will check out the nearest 3 or 4 pubs to the hotel for decent rates and settle on the pub i like best probably.

I don't change huge amounts daily.

Maybe not the best advice. on changing money... but suits me and cuts out the stress and time of searching too far.

Slainte

Edited: 16 March 2016, 22:38
Mentioned in this post
Fortuna Beach Hotel
Fortuna Beach Hotel
911 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday money

Wembley is just along the road from the Faber - come out of the hotel and head along to the left and you will see it.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday money

Go to the top of the canal mick. Next door to the demolished dreamboys is a small grocer. He always gave the best rate plenty bars around there. We were in the fortuna last year for a look its stunning enjoy

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,896 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday money

Thanks for that, Alex

I will of course note, like the OP Mrs Kershaw the advice from others on trusted exchange places.

I am aware, like many holiday destinations,that there are "outlets" that should be given a "body swerve"

I usually keep my currency transactions simple.

Meaning i work out what i should get in return beforehand, and count it in front of the seller/s as they count my tenners or twenties;-)

Slainte

PS

I will check out the wee shop you mention.

We to popped into the Fortuna last October for a look see (we had already booked it)

From what we saw, it should do us fine...

and is well regarded,i hear, for its spa/massage treatment etc.

So a wee rub down and scrub on first day should clear the travel cobwebs;-)

Edited: 17 March 2016, 01:44
Mentioned in this post
Fortuna Beach Hotel
Fortuna Beach Hotel
911 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday money

Good advice - and another handy tip is to change an amount such as £100, which makes it easy to work out how much you should be getting back. And never use the change offices - they are notorious for ripping people off!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,896 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday money

Hi Blondie

Yes, that is the kind of "outlets"i was referring to.

If it is ok with the the OP Mrs Kershaw ;-)

i am sure an update on which rogues to avoid would be helpful.

Name and shame!

Great help of course for first timers to Icmeler.

Slainte

Mick

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler