We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet?

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet?

We have been to Icmeler for the last 4 years and haven't yet booked for this year due to impending GCSE results and sorting dates out for that. We hope to shortly but I am concerned that with all the negative publicity surrounding Turkey that this year will see Icmeler very very quiet. We go in Aug and noticed last year it seemed quieter than previous years. I feel that many who have been before will not be put off but first time visitors will be vastly reduced. I know for many regulars it might not be an issue but I like a restaurant or bar to be busy and have a bit ambiance. If its like a ghost town I feel like we will lose the Icmeler bug.

Any thoughts out there?

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Marmaris District, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Solihull, West...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet?

I am holidaying in Icmeler for the first time in May although I have previously visited.

For the last 5 years I have been to Turgutreis and September was extremely quiet. Most of the popular bars were closed much earlier than previous years due to lack of custom and a number of bars had actually closed down.

I agree that people who have never been to Turkey will be put off travelling there with recent events. As a regular traveller to Turkey I will only not travel if the FO advises not to.

I also wonder what effect this will have on businesses. Will prices increase or decrease? Also TL rate is not fantastic at the moment although still better than a couple of years ago.

I hope I enjoy Icmeler and usually I am also booked for September but as yet not committed myself as I want to see how May goes.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Turgutreis
Turgutreis
Bodrum, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet?

the holiday prices themselves are vastly reduced to last year on Jet2. we can go for about £1900 now for a fortnight. last year the same holiday would have been £2600. Free child places being offered when ive never seen them before at this stage. I can only imagine that the tour operators aren't getting the bookings. Will they (jet2 ) cancel flights like TC? Who knows.

Solihull, West...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet?

I have been booked since last year and got a good deal any way.

I am flying with TC as yet no flight alterations 😕

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet?

We have booked with tc flights we did this last year and paid 550 for 2 of us with extra leg room roll on june

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
761 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet?

If you feel its too quiet for you, you could always pop across to Marmaris for a couple of evenings.

I'm going in May & July so will be interesting to see the comparison against last year.

Mentioned in this post
Marmaris
Marmaris
Solihull, West...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet?

I will go to Marmaris a couple of times also Turunc 😆

Mentioned in this post
Marmaris
Marmaris
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quiet?

We always go in May, the last 2 weeks and the past few years it has been quieter. last year in our apartments there were only 6 of the 39 apartments being used.

TC and Thomsons are saying that booking are down considerably hence the reason they are cancelling or amalgamating flights.

The media have hyped this a great deal about the "troubles", but I think people have to get some context here. Typically the troubles are about 1000 miles away, equivalent of say London to Berlin

Unfortunately I believe that as a result the resort and indeed many resorts in Turkey will be quieter this year. This in turn is bound to have an impact on bars and restaurants in town. If you also throw in the fact that many Russians will not be there, although they do not spend a lot in bars/restaurants as well as the AI hotels.

Popular bars will probably always still be busy, eg Venice, but even there I have noticed it was a lot quieter last year, biggest impact may be on the newer bars or ones who may not have a great reputation

As for prices that is anyones guess. If the resort is quiet do they drop prices to entice people in, or keep at a higher level hoping to balance the books.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
8. Re: Quiet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 March 2016, 21:35
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quiet?

Not one for Marmaris I have to admit. A quiet Icmeler will always beat a busy Marmaris.

I agree with you SMC4761.Before I went last year the media were overhyping the situation whereby I found myself giving the same context to friends.

We always stay at Eden Garden and have booked early. Jet2 show 3 rooms left so that likely means a lot more and at this stage that is unheard of.

Mentioned in this post
Marmaris
Marmaris
Icmeler
Icmeler
Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quiet?

Iif

I

I think it will quiet so going to Lanzarote. Been told its cheaper than Turkey too

Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler