We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrading seats - really necessary?

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Upgrading seats - really necessary?

Hi everyone

On our flights to and from Icmeler last summer, Thomson had me for an extra £60 to guarantee the three of us sat together.

I'm not falling for that old chestnut again so was wondering if we got to check in at the airport at the earliest opportunity would we be more likely to be seated together?

Or do you just still pick your seats on the seating plan when they email you and hope for the best?

Thanks Mick

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,130 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upgrading seats - really necessary?

Who knows, lots of people want seats together, so how early do you get to the Airport? How many seats will be booked already? Sod's law.

If you pick you seats on airline websites, you usually have to pay for them.

I would not want to be seated a long way down the plane from my family and this is particularly important if you have a child travellng with you..

Solihull, West...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upgrading seats - really necessary?

Does it really matter it is only 4 hours 😆

Peace and quiet springs to mind if me and my fella are separated. Will check in just before flight closes and usually if there are any extra legroom seats available they sit you there for free 😊

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upgrading seats - really necessary?

Thats true blondie1967. Me and OH have checked in at the last minute, got the extra legroom seats next to the wing and Exit. Two years running this has happened on our journey out to Dalaman.

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upgrading seats - really necessary?

Just another way of extracting more money from you as far as I'm concerned - I'm not prepared to pay extra to guarantee a particular seat. I can see why you might want to if you were travelling with young children, maybe - although most airlines do make an effort to seat families together.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,130 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upgrading seats - really necessary?

We where on a flight from Dalaman and a woman was sat in the middle of two people and her husband was half way down the plane in the middle of two more people. Spoke to her at the toilets and she was not very pleased.

Also read on these Forums recently about a couple with a 10 year old daughter who was seated on her own down the plane...

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upgrading seats - really necessary?

I have never paid for pre selected seats and we have always been sitting together. To be honest I am quite happy to be sitting away from the missus (dont tell her I said this)

If you have children that may be a different scenario, especially young children or if someone is a nervous flyer

Its only for about 4 hours anway and I will see her 24 hours a day for next 2 weeks.

If possible save your cash by not booking and what you have saved, spend in the resort

birkenhead
Level Contributor
118 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upgrading seats - really necessary?

Husband and I checked in 3 hours early for flight last year and were allocated seats together when we got to board plane i was told to go to desk and the stewardess changed number on my boarding card to seat 13 rows away from my husband when I said i was not a very good traveller on own she said the flight attendant would change when we got to the cabin. When we got on the plane we were told all the rest of seats were pre booked and no chance of being moved my husband spoke to the people in the row by him and none of them had pre booked seats so think its just luck but we wont take chance again

birkenhead
Level Contributor
118 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upgrading seats - really necessary?

That is probably why my seat was changed last year on our flight out to Dalaman after checking in 3 hours before travel

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,130 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upgrading seats - really necessary?

We paid for extra legroom seats after my husband had a back operation. Sat by the door and there was ice on the window and water running down the side of the wall. it was freezing cold.

Solihull, West...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upgrading seats - really necessary?

I understand people with children wanting to sit together. If an airline has separated me from my 10 year old I would not have sat down until they sorted it. There are plenty of people who fly without children who really should have swapped seats in that scenario.

I will book in last minute and again will hopefully get free extra leg room 😊

I just want to arrive safely so not really bothered where I sit 😊

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations