We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family reunion in Icmeler June 2016 - should I be concerned?

Carnelian Bay...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Family reunion in Icmeler June 2016 - should I be concerned?

Hi everyone,

I currently have a family reunion planned in Icmeler, near Marmaris, for June 2016. I've been following the news and am aware of the refugee situation there, but still want to support the Turkish tourism economy and stay on track with our plans. Some members are feeling unsure and want to cancel. For anyone who has been there recently, what was the mood? Turkey is a big country, so the tensions may not be felt everywhere.

I've traveled there a few times and each time there has been some sort of political situation, but I've always felt safe.

Any reassurance or thoughts otherwise would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tauni

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Marmaris District, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,878 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family reunion in Icmeler June 2016 - should I be concerned?

The resorts are perfectly fine, there is no need for anyone to worry about the refugees, it is no less safe than when you have been before.

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,072 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family reunion in Icmeler June 2016 - should I be concerned?

I agree with Kedi - of course, no-one can predict what the situation might be in June 2016 - at home or abroad - but unless things were to change drastically and the government changed its advice regarding travel to Turkey, then I'd be more than happy to go and enjoy my holiday. In fact, we've already booked up for next year and are looking forward to it just as much as we always do.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family reunion in Icmeler June 2016 - should I be concerned?

Agree with Kedi, as things stand at the moment Turkey and the resorts are fine. Icmeler is about 1200 miles from the Syrian border. Unless there is a change in the guidance from the foreign office, there will still be many hundreds of thousands going back again this year

As with going to any new place just take your normal precautions as you would normally take at home.

In fact some of the UK is on a higher terrorist alert than in Turkey. Many hundreds of thousands of people have been to Turkey this year and if were not safe they would not have went.. Some of the scare stories in the media, particularly the Daily Express were simply ridiculous

Relax, take it easy and have a great time at your family reunion

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Carnelian Bay...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family reunion in Icmeler June 2016 - should I be concerned?

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it!

Balloch, United...
Level Contributor
694 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family reunion in Icmeler June 2016 - should I be concerned?

I came back from Içmeler last week and felt as safe as I always do. After the Ankara situation there was a peaceful demonstration in Marmaris which we drove past but that was the only evidence of unrest. Like others say I would not alter any travel plans unless the Foreign Office advised not to travel. I will be taking out another insurance policy and will be ensuring, if possible, that I get suitable cover should such a situation arise.

Mentioned in this post
Ankara
Ankara
Ankara Province, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family reunion in Icmeler June 2016 - should I be concerned?

Over the last 2 or 3 years when I've been in Turkey there have been all sorts of scare stories about trouble or unrest however apart from a peaceful student march in Antalya I've only ever known about it by watching TV in the bar. As others have said Turkish resorts are as safe as anywhere can be at the moment so unless the situation changes drastically go ahead and enjoy your reunion

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
7. Re: Family reunion in Icmeler June 2016 - should I be concerned?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2016, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations