We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wasps

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
463 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
wasps

Thinking of booking a late deal. A friend has just told us that he has heard that there are loads of wasps there at the moment?

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,160 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wasps

Unforunately, at this time of year, you do tend to get quite a lot of them (they are mostly bees, actually) - but they should be dying out fairly soon. From what most people have been saying, there seems to have been more of them around this year than usual.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
463 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wasps

Thanks for prompt reply. Hopefully they are dying out by now.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wasps

Learnt a trick at kabak last year, they avoid burning turkish coffee like the plague. It is worth trying if they are a particular problem.

CHESTER
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wasps

We have been here nearly 3 weeks, there are slightly less now to when we 1st came out, mainly bees.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: wasps

Got back Saturday stayed at the beach.my wife got stung at the pool.there was lots of bees around. Never seen them before at this part speaking to the locals its been 50 plus and 38 at night for weeks don't know if this is the problem it was 40 last week and getting hotter

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wasps

Just returned from Gumbet last night

Was on a boat trip and was stung with something!

However, by the next day, it was infected and ended up in hospital on a antibiotic drip!

So be careful around any insect, don't take chances....

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wasps

Take a good pair of tweezers and keep them on you. I have been stung by the bees (three times) and It does hurt - but pull the sting out - it is all completely gone. Certainly will not stop me going back and I am a Wimp.

So sorry that you had such a bad time Sunbabe (I have seen a lot of your posts about Turkey) and hope you still had a good holiday. You are absolutely right - if you cannot get the sting out, or if it still hurts - do get help. But, and I think Sunbabe, will agree, complications are extremely rare - the bees are probably nearly all gone now - go and enjoy. Turkey is wonderful!!!

Edited: 11 October 2015, 04:51
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wasps

Hi lindaanne,

Not too sure it was a bee in my case - got stung on the back too, so impossible for me to get the barb out!

The thing that stung me ( I think, only thing I saw afterwards buzzing about, was huge compared to our bees) was indeed black & yellow, but not striped like our bees, black all over with a bit of yellow at its base...

Did not stop me from enjoying the rest of holiday though, no we will certainly return to turkey

A tip: get a bottle of ammonia from chemist for first aid kit, stops the pain of sting

Balloch, United...
Level Contributor
694 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wasps

We are in Içmeler at the moment and 4 out of 6 of us has been stung. People say don't flap and they will leave you alone but one stung us walking along the street. Landed on shoulder and stung. Make sure you carry solutions with you at all times. The weather has not been so good today and there's been no problems with the bees/wasps. It's not spoiling our holiday.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
775 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wasps

Came home on Friday & have never seen so many wasps. Usually they've started to die out before we arrive but not this year.

Lots of people have been stung.

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations