We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take English money or not?

stirling (sauchie)
Level Contributor
3 posts
Take English money or not?

Hi all,

I'm going to icmeler next week and wondering how to spilt my money. Do I take English money or not? What does everyone usually take?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Take English money or not?

Hi!

We just came back from Turkey, Antalya. We found that best is to take lira or euro as these are most common currencies. To change pounds into their local currency, you would need to find a currency exchange that may not have the best rates.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Take English money or not?

People take a small amount of Lira (£50) and the rst in sterling as you will get the best exchange rates in resort.

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
214 reviews
3. Re: Take English money or not?

Sorry but Agnese's advice isn't the best, not for Icmeler. Don't take euros - we normally take a small amount of lira just to get us started then change the rest of our sterling over there. Take English notes though - there are a few places which will change Scottish notes, but they will give you a lower rate. Don't use the actual change offices as they are notorious for ripping people off - change your money in the bars/restaurants or little minimarkets instead.

stirling (sauchie)
Level Contributor
3 posts
4. Re: Take English money or not?

Thanks everyone 😊😊 6 day and counting!

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Take English money or not?

I just took £50 worth of lira as the exchange rate there is better for the rest of my money

1 post
1 review
6. Re: Take English money or not?

Thank you we are off to Iclemer in 2 weeks got 800 lira and the rest in English. Never been to Turkey feeling apprehensive with the news coverage - can anyone give me any advise while in Iclemer.

Edited: 03 July 2015, 11:22
Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Take English money or not?

labrown, My advice is to enjoy the Sunny weather, Enjoy the Turkish hospitality, Enjoy ice cold drinks, Enjoy the food, Just Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
214 reviews
8. Re: Take English money or not?

Exactly - try to relax and enjoy your holiday. The Turkish people are incredibly friendly and welcoming - the weather is gorgeous, stunning scenery and delicious food, you will have a great time. There are lots of trips and excursions you can do - check the top questions panel on the right hand side of the page for plenty of tips and advice - and just get out and about and explore the resort and soak up everything Icmeler has to offer!

Surrey
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
123 reviews
9. Re: Take English money or not?

In May I found that Adam gave a brilliant rate, near on the bank rate and no commission. He is situated in a small office around the corner from Lovestar restaurant along the road into town. On the cusp of the old village. Opposite the car wash place (doesn't look like a car wash but it is). I would advise anyone to take a small amount of lira and change the rest of your English hard earned over there for sure. Change as you go too.

10. Re: Take English money or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2016, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler