We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Money

Hi all. I'm off in 2 weeks and need advice on spending money. We've got some lira to take and don't know whether to carry the rest of our spending money in sterling cash or leave it in the bank (Barclays). Is it easy to draw out with my normal debit cards? Is there a charge for withdrawals? And also is there a daily limit? Both husband and I both have debit cards so would we both be able to draw out money from cash point machines?

Lisa

London, England...
Level Contributor
182 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

You get charged for withdrawals with most banks, especially debit accounts.

Take sterling. I have £100 worth of TL and will take £500 of Sterling and bank cards for another withdrawal.

edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

It depends on which bank you are with - and sometimes which account you have too as to what charges you might incur. Check with your own bank - and also let them know you will be using your card abroad.

Wales
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

I always take cash and change in small supermarket on corner of the main street. I do take my debit card for emergencies but didn't need to use. Got back last week and exchange rate excellent. 430TL for £100. Enjoy Lisa.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

The vast majority of banks will charge you for taking money out, typically around £2 each time you take money out. Each bank will have its own rules about this best to check with your bank.

The Halifax Clarity credit crd, is very good. You only get charged interest on the amount you take out for the number of days before you pay it off. Last year I think I took out around £400 and paid this off as soon as I got back to UK and only paid around £2 interest

I think the Post Office also do a card that is very good

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

Thanks for the replies We've drawn the cash out of the bank and left some in just in case of emergencies so thank you all for your help.

Lisa

south east...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

Just use the cash machines and get sterling out and change it in the supermarket. You only get charged about £2 a transaction safer and better rate there in supermarket

7. Re: Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2016, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler