We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight delay compensation

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Flight delay compensation

Just been informed by Thomas Cook that after a 3 year fight I've finally been awarded full compensation for a 4 hour 30 minute delay at Dalaman back in 2009. They had regularly told me I was not entitled but I kept going back to them every time there was a new court ruling. So if anyone is delayed for over 3 hours keep at them. Make sure you keep your emails and ticket details .If we had been treated better at the time of the delay, instead of the offhand and dismissive way we were treated, I probably wouldn't have bothered claiming in the first place.

Balloch, United...
Level Contributor
694 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight delay compensation

Well done Iain for persevering and good advice to ensure you keep all relevant information. I think there's a deliberate ploy to put people off in the hope they will give up, so perseverance paid off in the end.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight delay compensation

Second that Here!!!!!!!!!!!! Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glasgow
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight delay compensation

Initially they offered vouchers but I refused and told them I wanted cash which they've now confirmed will be paid into my bank in the next few days.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight delay compensation

Great stuff Iain, its proves that if you are determined and have right on your side you can win

Carmarthenshire...
Level Contributor
518 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight delay compensation

I had a delay of 18 hours last year,flying out of Larnaca, but I must say Thomas cook did OK by us.We were given vouchers for food and drink in the airport, then they took us to a 5star hotel in Limassol for bed and breakfast, and o0n the flight home we were given free food and drink on the plane.It was not the fault of Thomas Cokk that we were delayed, it was due to a bird strike at Cardiff airport.For anybody who does not know, that is a flock of birds flying into the plane!The problem I had was with travel insurance.My insurance paid out, no problem,but my partners insurance refused, stating that he was not covered for INDUSTRIAL ACCTION!!After a lot ofheated disscution, I refered them to the plane that landed in the Hudson river in New York a few years back, before they seemed to realise what a bird strike was.Talk about stupid.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
773 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight delay compensation

Well done Iain.

Theres been a lot of slating on social media about flight delays to Dalaman in the last week. My advice would be find out why the delays have happened. If a delay means the plane requires maintenance then so be it. I'd rather a fault be found on the ground over 1 being found in the air.

Delays are a risk taken by air travellers however if the delay is due to mismanagement by the airline thats a different story.

Edited: 04 June 2015, 13:40
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight delay compensation

Well done,we have just started a claim with easyjet after our flight bodrum to edinburgh last thursday was almost 16 hours late taking off.passenger took ill and diverted to stanstead,then technical issue and by time it got to bodrum the crew had done their limit in hours hence the long delay.will wait and see but sure they find a way to not pay!!

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight delay compensation

To be honest I've had delays in the past and usually just accepted them as one of the inconveniences of travelling. However on this occasion we were given no information other than the plane was delayed. Dalaman was full to bursting so we ended up sitting on the floor. Eventually we were given a voucher for a small slice of pizza and a coffee which really wasn't worth waiting in the lengthy queue for. My main gripe was that no one was available to tell us what was happening as anyone we did ask didn't know anything. It was the 'couldn't care less' attitude that was most galling. Hopefully this attitude has changed now that travellers are able to claim compensation which in my case was £580.00, so not insignificant. I followed the advice on the Martin Lewis MoneySavingExpert website. This is a free weekly newsletter which I would recommend.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
773 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight delay compensation

I think you're right Iain.

If airlines handled these situations better then there would be a lot less anger. I remember seeing a man have a complete metldown at the airport once over a delay, the person attempting to deal with him just seemed to make him more angry - not pretty at all.

10. Re: Flight delay compensation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2016, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations