We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nervous newbie, loads of questions not sure where to start

Doncaster, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
nervous newbie, loads of questions not sure where to start

Hi everyone, I am a total newbie to holidays generally never mind Icmeler, not sure what spurred the impromptu booking other than i'm stressed and knackered with life lol. Panicking now that it's going to be too noisy for us. We don't do loud music, alcohol or dancing.

Pretty please could anyone recommend any "quieter" places to eat.

Secondly please can anyone advise where to go shopping for non food cheap market type stuff, we will miss the turunc market on Mondays as our flights are both on Mondays. Where are the best places to go shopping in Marmaris, which day is the market there pls?

Thirdly read the sea gets deep very quickly.....my kids aren't the strongest of swimmers, is there signs where it gets deep.

Lastly read about the dolmus as cheapest way to get to Marmaris but how do you know where on earth to get off......looking at taking kids to water parks and shopping at the market/bazaar

Thanks and forgive all the questions....I might have a few more shortly lol

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Marmaris District, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nervous newbie, loads of questions not sure where to start

There are loads of lovely quiet places to eat, depending on what you are looking for. Where are you staying?

Hanedan and Meryem Yemek Evi do lovely Turkish food and no loud music, as do places lilke Kayra Pide, Nefis Pide and so on.The Holiday bar does good value set menus and no loud music or dancing, although they do have a big screen for sports and tv programmes.

That is the beauty of Icmeler - it really does have something for everyone. Yes, there are noisier bars with music, dancing, etc - but there are plenty of quieter places too. There is no actual market in Marmaris now, just fruit and veg, but the bazaar is open every day and you can get everything in there which you would have got at the markets. The dolmus is easy to do - just tell the driver you want to get off at the aqua parks or the bazaar or wherever and they will let you know.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have - that's what forums like this are for - and we were all "newbies" to Icmeler at one stage! I am sure you and your family will have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Evi Hotel Rhodes
Evi Hotel Rhodes
492 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Marmaris
Marmaris
Icmeler
Icmeler
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nervous newbie, loads of questions not sure where to start

As blondiscot says ask away as there are people on here who will give you accurate advise and the (DE'S) on here know icmeler as well as anybody and are always very helpful, don't worry I'm sure you will be hooked on the place once you find your feet

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nervous newbie, loads of questions not sure where to start

If you look at the thread on the top of the forum. There's loads of info there for newbies. Also the top questions on the right hand side

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nervous newbie, loads of questions not sure where to start

First of all don't panic as Icmeler is a great place for a family holiday with something to suit everyone. Blondiescot has summed it up perfectly and really you can usually tell at a glance if a restaurant suits your taste. I also think you will find plenty of local shops selling the stuff you want without having to bother about going into Marmaris although if you do go, and feel confident enough, have a walk round the bazaar which is an experience. Best to go through early though. I'm sure you will have a great time in Icmeler.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Marmaris
Marmaris
London
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nervous newbie, loads of questions not sure where to start

Hi, we often go on holiday as a family of 4, 2 teenagers, 2 adults.

we are not ones for dancing or karaoke so can reccomend you some nice bars and restaurants.

Cicekli garden bar along the beachfront is good for both day and evening. Theres no entertainment just background music and lots of pretty gardens around the seating so its a nice relaxing place to chill out. No need to shout over noisy music, plus the drinks are really cheap!

Florida bar is another of our favourites. Very reasonable prices for both food and drink. The waiters are extremely friendly here and we always try and keep in touch with them when we get home. Vince's bar/restaurant is another of our regulars. Again no loud music and dancing, just great food and great company. (Both florida and vinces are always willing to probide kids sized portions of any meals for a reduced price.)

As for shopping, youll have plenty of choice in icmeler. You can buy everything from clothes, shoes, housewares etc from many of the shops around the square and in amongst the surrounding streets. Genuine shopkeepers will always be happy to offer you discounts etc when buying multiple items, so remember to haggle.

I would also reccomend the jeep safari as a day out. Weve been a couple of times now and we all still absolutely love it. Waterfights, offroading and waterfall visit plus lunch all for around £9/£10 a person. Makes a nice change from the beach/pool, great fun and get to see a bit of turkey that you dont see in the holiday resorts.

Hope thjs helped, and enjoy your holiday!

Doncaster, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: nervous newbie, loads of questions not sure where to start

Thankyou all so much for the advice and reassurance

Can I just ask are the market and bazaar in marmaris 2 different places?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nervous newbie, loads of questions not sure where to start

There is no market in Marmaris or Icmeler. The bazaar is in Marmaris close to the marina and the Attaturk statue. Well worth a visit, plenty of shops selling absolutely everything

Mentioned in this post
Marmaris
Marmaris
Icmeler
Icmeler
8. Re: nervous newbie, loads of questions not sure where to start

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2016, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler