We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self catering or all inclusive

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
self catering or all inclusive

Hi looking to book a holiday for 4 around july 13th (2 teenage girls) in Icmeler. Wondered if it was worth going all inclusive or better value / cost effective to go self catering. any advice appreciated. thanks. also any recommendations for accommodation . Have looked at loads on here and have confused myself!

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self catering or all inclusive

Personally we go self catering as there are so many places to eat at fantastic prices,each to there own though,we like going for food in different places and times etc so it suits us good,lots of lovely accommodation spoiled for choice to be honest but whatever you choose I'm sure you will have a great time

Edited: 13 April 2015, 22:46
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: self catering or all inclusive

For me it has to be self catering. Did go AI a few years ago, which was OK, but nothing beats eating out in Icmeler.

AI in Icmeler is generally very good 5* and is quite expensive, eg The Aqua. The other AI is generally 3* and is very well priced however many find the food generally not that great and very repititive

With AI you are also pretty much tied to fixed meal times and you dont get the same freedom as S/C.

In July the weather will very hot and some people do not like to eat a lot because of the heat or prefer to eat at their leisure, so S/C gives you the freedom to do your own thing.

The good thing however about AI however is the free unlimited drinks, especially during the day for soft drinks and water. The cost of these does soon add up. If you can get an AI at a good price and you are happy to eat out most nights, the cost of drinks soon balances this out

To give you an idea of price per person a typical snack at lunchtime is about £3 a typical evening meal about £7, soft drink about £1.50 and a beer £2.40. These prices are from last year but I dont think there will be much of an increase this year. Of course you can pay a lot more for your meals or slightly less depending where you go.

Icmeler has over 100 restaurants and cafes so there is something for every budget

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,146 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: self catering or all inclusive

I agree - and smc's post is very informative for anyone considering the options. We prefer to go self catering and eat out at the many great restaurants in Icmeler too. One of the main complaints from people who do go A/I - unless you go to the very top end of the market - is that the food tends to be very repetitive at best, and in some places, not that great quality either.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: self catering or all inclusive

Without a doubt I would go self catering. When you go all inclusive, food can be repetitive and I have found myself jealous when going for an evening walk at the beautiful smells and meals on peoples plates in restaurants!

You also, in my opinion, get better service in restaurants then you would in hotels as the staff want you to return. Prices are reasonable too.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: self catering or all inclusive

We are staying at the Senem apartments for two weeks from 27th July with two teenage boys and have been told these apartments are really friendly. The boys are both 16 and we got one of them as a free child when we booked through Jet 2. So depending on the age of the girls may be worth a look, Jet 2 go up to 16 for free child places.

Surrey
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: self catering or all inclusive

As everyone has already said, I think self catering is or has to be the best option in Icmeler. AI is killing off a lot of the smaller places which is sad. A lot of other nationalities like the AI option but I have to disagree and say self catering for me all the way. Loads of choice of places to eat and drink and usually the apartments you stay at will have their own little restaurant for breakfast, a light lunch and be really lovely and reasonable. Its always good to try some of their food too. As far as places to stay, try Icmeler Online for apartments at really reasonable prices, they also have an online chat facility so if you have any questions, they can answer them literally immediately. I am staying at Sun Village apartments again this year, can't wait to get there I hasten to add and all booked through ICR, smooth running as usual.

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,146 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: self catering or all inclusive

When are you at Sun Village, Sami?

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: self catering or all inclusive

Thank you for all your replies, self catering it will be, with lots of eating out.

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: self catering or all inclusive

Definitely S/C or just B&B. There are so many fantastic restaurants and they are desperate for your custom. I have noticed this over the last few years, A/L is spoiling it for them. With the long hours and hard work they put in over the season and always happy to oblige, they deserve to have our business.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: self catering or all inclusive

Self catering all day long, that way you do not feel obliged to eat at hotel. AI can be repetitive also. Get out and about as there are loads of restaurants that sell lovely food. We went once to Icmeler AI, but we go to same place every year SC, lovely room/separate bedroom, and decent kitchen amenities. I go to shop every morning for fresh bread, its great.

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations