We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Icmeler - Mid April - few questions please...

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
First visit to Icmeler - Mid April - few questions please...

Wife & I supposed to be camping in North Wales for a week mid April, but long range forecast looked cold so got late deal to Grand Yaziki Marmaris Palace, looks good, great reviews, nice price for AI fir 8 nights.

Booked it quite sharpish so now doing research...! It seems that Icmeler will be quite quiet, but how quiet, will shops, cafes, attractions be closed?

Seems the weather will be anywhere from 15-25 with showers mixed in?

I'm not football mad, but my little team, Reading, are playing in the FA cup semi final whilst we'll be over there, is English football shown anywhere?

Read some horror stories about transfer times from Dalaman, so decided not to book Thomas Cook tfr, are we best going for private, or will coach be ok in quiet season?

First foreign hol for a few years, few books lined up, cant wait to explore, not been to Turkey before.

Any 'must do's' for a first timer?

Thanks in advance.

1. Re: First visit to Icmeler - Mid April - few questions please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 21:05
Edited: 24 March 2015, 21:05
crawley
Level Contributor
547 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Icmeler - Mid April - few questions please...

Yes football is shown everywhere. You won't have trouble watching the game.

Personally i would book private transfer. You won't need air con and so you save money in this area. I would recommend a boat trip but April isn't the best time for it. Sea is cold.

Must do's

Have a Turkish shave

Turkish Bath.

Travel by local bus which i'm sure you will

Use the water taxi.

Can't really offer much more advice as i'm a hot weather man myself.

Edited: 24 March 2015, 20:34
3. Re: First visit to Icmeler - Mid April - few questions please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 21:05
Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Icmeler - Mid April - few questions please...

Get a Turkish bath when you arrive, and just before you leave. Get a Turkish shave. Have an ice cold Efes, ride a dolmus but just enjoy it, the people, the food, the general atmosphere is second to none, and you will go back, guaranteed. Just try and get a speedy transfer as its a fair trek from airport.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Icmeler - Mid April - few questions please...

The main issue you may have is the resort will be very quiet. The resort starts to come alive towards the end of April/beginning of May. Some bars and restaurants will be open but they will be quiet. Marmaris just along the coast 5/10 minutes in dolmus will be busier and things like boat trips may just have about started to be up and running

Private transfer will be quicker and takes around 1h 20 mins.,and a typical price is anything from about £65 -£100. Bus transfer do take longer at around 2 hours I would expect at that time of year. Is it really worth the extra to get there about 45 minutes quicker?

Your hotel is lovely so there will be no issues there.

other things to do, I would recommend going up to the old village area, which is a throwback to times gone by. Basically follow the dry canal from centre of town heading about 1 mile inland. Look out for the mosque and the old part of village is there. The mosque is worth a visit

take the dolmus to Turinc which is about 20 minutes away, the next resort along the coast. The dolmus ride is an experience and has some fabulous views. have lunch in Turunc then get the water taxi back to Icmler.

The bazaar in Marmaris is worth a visit as is the marina in Marmaris. If it is open, a trip up to the old castle in Marmaris near to the marina is also woth a visit

It can be nice during the day but will be much cooler at night. A light jacket will probably be required.

Finally have a look at the questions on the right side of this page which will give you much more onfo.

Dont forget to get your visa before you go and only use the official site. Some sites will try to rip you off. Visa price is $20, about £13 each

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Icmeler - Mid April - few questions please...

Wow, some great info, thank you all. To be honest we aren't heat lovers, late teens early 20's is ideal, and not being party animals don't mind too much if the resort isn't rocking. Some of those places to explore sound fab.

Don't think we'll bother with a private transfer if it's under an hours difference, found some very reasonable quotes for transfers.

Edited: 24 March 2015, 22:51
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Icmeler - Mid April - few questions please...

Hi Alastair,

I don't know the answer to all your questions but I do know you will never be short of tv screens to watch the football.

Also, visit the Majestic for a great meal, service and entertainment. Icmeler has gone a little quiet but the restaurant has amazing atmosphere. I can't wait to go back.

Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
617 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Icmeler - Mid April - few questions please...

Hi Alastair,

We will be staying at the Grand Yazici Mares Hotel which is an all inclusive hotel next door to the Marmaris Palace (part of the same chain) in the second week of April. It will be our 4th visit at Easter time and we have always been lucky with the weather, low to mid 20's.

The hotels are situated midway between Icmeler and Marmaris overlooking the sea and have stunning views. There is a footpath when you step out of your hotel on the coast which when you turn right takes you into Icmeler approximately 25 mins walk, or if you turn left it takes you into Marmaris also about 25 mins walk. Or, you can pick up the Dolmus (bus) on the main road to either resorts.

To be honest when we walked into Icmeler last Easter we found it to be like a ghost town with no bars or restaurants open yet, unlike previous years when there was a couple of bars open.

We do not care for Maramaris ourselves as we find it too big and lots of traffic, but the Marina and Bazaar are the only places we sometimes visit.

Last year we had friends staying in Marmaris when we were at the Mares Hotel and there said there was plenty of bars showing football.

Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your holiday.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to Icmeler - Mid April - few questions please...

Another question... As we get closer to our trip I'm sure there'll be more!

I have a Halifax Clarity card - meaning free withdrawals world wide - but - is there a cash machine on the arrivals side of Dalaman airport? I'd like some cash for immediate use, and would prefer not to change any in this country due to fees.

Thanks all, a very useful forum this :-)

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,146 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to Icmeler - Mid April - few questions please...

Yes, there is a cash machine at Dalaman. As you come down the stairs to the baggage collection area, there are a few shops there, and there is a cash machine there.

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations