We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icmeler or the Spanish Costas?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
46 reviews
Icmeler or the Spanish Costas?

I have just returned from a week on the Costa del Sol and enjoyed the relaxing break sitting in the sunshine, which got me thinking about both resorts. I have been going to Turkey since 1997 and Icmeler since 2001 and do enjoy Icmeler a great deal. But comparing the 2 resorts, I think the Costas are starting to fight back. Years ago the Spanish I think became complacent and places like Turkey and Bulgaria offered lots of sunshine, great service and very low prices both for flights and food/drink.

Now the fight back, lets compare. Prices I quote are typical prices for both resorts, I know you can get cheaper/more expensive

Flights from Glasgow return flights for 2 to Malaga £130, and a 2h 45 m flight

return flights to Dalaman, £450 and a 4 h 30 m flight

Transfers

To Fuengirola, £2 on train from airport to centre of resort, 35 minutes, £8 total

To Icmeler typical shuttle transfer 2 hours and £40

Apartments, plenty of things to do in apartments in Fuengirola, entertainment each night, kids club each day, huge kids play area outside large games room inside table tennis, air hockey pool tables video games, 6 internet stations. Typical Turkey apartments, will have some of the above but not all or as many.

Beaches in Fuengirola is good sand and runs for about 7 miles, Icmeler generally is poor sand. However sunbeds are much cheaper in Icmeler, £1 per day compared to £6 per day

Food and drink. This is where Spain has improved dramatically over the years. This year I went to the chinese restaurant as normal 3 courses, plus complmentary prawn crackers and free shot was only £4. Food quality was good portions were decent. Many other places were offering set meals for about £7. These are the same prices I was paying 4 years ago and the exchange rate was only £1 was worth 1.06 euro. The exchange rate is now £1 is 1.32 euro, so much better value than before.

Drink prices are even better, typically £1.40 per pint of beer, My apartments even had a happy 2 hour 2 for the price of 1. Some palces were offering a free tapas with a £1.40 pint

The exchange rate in Turkey has also increased over the past 4 years from about £1 was 2.50 lira to now about 3.50 lira. However food and drink prices seem to have gone up. This is mainly due to the Turkish Government increasing the tax particularly on drink. A typical price of beer is now about £2.40 and a set meal around £7.

These are just a few examples. With the cheaper flight prices and shorter transfers times, could this be enough to tempt people back, especially as the food and drink prices are pretty much on par, and the exchange rate is now so much better

Me, I think I will still continue to go to Icmeler, however I only hope the Turkish government do not become complacent like the Spanish did and take tourists for granted.

Any thoughts?

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Icmeler or the Spanish Costas?

Glad you had a good holiday. Thanks for the comparison very interesting info.

Think I will stick to icmeler for a few more years. Have you heard about the burger bar opening in icmeler lol

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Icmeler or the Spanish Costas?

Hi Sue, had a great break, the weather was decent lots of sunshine but a tad windy a few of the days.

Spain is definetley a better place for holidays now than it was say 10 years ago. As for Icmeler it has everything I want from a holiday, but it may now not suit families with young children. Long flights and transfers, limited entertainment, music off at midnight and all the forthcoming changes.

As I said that does not bother me in the slightest in fact I prefer the limited entertainment/dancing waiters etc, not being there, must be an age thing.

Hope your looking forward to your break in June especially after last few weeks

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
214 reviews
3. Re: Icmeler or the Spanish Costas?

Interesting comparison, but personally I don't think I'd ever set foot in the Spanish Costas again, especially the Costa del Sol...wasn't at all impressed by Fuengirola, I have to say. I found it pretty tacky and didn't think the beach was at all great either. I've never been bitten by mosquitoes as badly as I have in Spain - I still have the scars to show for it even from my first visit there, which was more than 30 years ago. I can see why it might appeal to some people, but for me, there's no comparison with Turkey, even if it did become more expensive.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Icmeler or the Spanish Costas?

Great report and very intresting as we have never been to Spain. Will probably stick with icmeler for the near future but it does sound tempting

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Icmeler or the Spanish Costas?

Very interesting read thanks for posting. Always looking for ideas on new destinations so will definitely be having a good look round.matt

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
424 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: Icmeler or the Spanish Costas?

I totally understand your comments and have to agree. Hubby and I visit icmeler at least once and until last year twice a year. We now have two small granddaughters and from last year and again for this year, one of our holidays is going to be menorca. The Balearic islands and the Spanish Costa resorts are ideal for families. Short flights and short transfer Times are a godsend with little kids. Also the Spanish seem more welcoming than they did years ago - which is when we deserted them for Turkey. As always it is a matter of personal choice and whilst we love icmeler and Turkey if the price for Spain was right and we just needed some warmth, good food and drink to recharge the batteries we would not hesitate to chose Spain. It is much improved from years ago.

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Icmeler or the Spanish Costas?

Interesting comparison smc and glad you had a nice break. I must admit I've not been to Spain for a few years and had stopped going as I felt the Spanish were taking the tourists for granted. Probably Turkey on my first visit in 1997 was a bit like Spain on my first visit there in 1972. Obviously places change over time and Icmeler is no exception. Families in particular have to be more price conscious and may find Turkey is now getting a bit expensive. I say every year I'm going to try somewhere new but usually end up being drawn back to Icmeler as it offers me everything I want in a holiday.

Edited: 09 February 2015, 02:41
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
46 reviews
8. Re: Icmeler or the Spanish Costas?

Are you going back again this year Iain?

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Icmeler or the Spanish Costas?

Probably, although I haven't started looking yet. I always liked Portugal but haven't been there for 5 or 6 years so who knows.OH fancies 3 weeks although I would rather go for 2 and somewhere different later in the year.

Edited: 09 February 2015, 19:23
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Icmeler or the Spanish Costas?

I have been going to Turkey for 24 years ,Icmeler for the last 10 but after our last visit in May 2013 we decided to give other places a try.

We went to Benidorm last April after not been for 12 years and loved it.

We are off to Benalmadena on Sunday for 2 weeks and looking forward to it.

I read the exchange rate was good and was133.30 today in the change office near to our hotel that people had recommended.

Short flight and transfer is a bonus too.

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations