We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcanic ash insurance.

Bradford, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Volcanic ash insurance.

Hi,does anybody bother paying extra for this? If you got to airport and your flight was postponed/cancelled due to ash etc,what happens next? Can you get on next flight,is it a knock on effect? Does Abta pay out? Or if with no extra cover taken out,do you lose all your holiday? Any info would be appreciated,thanks.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
762 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volcanic ash insurance.

Hi Sarah

I haven't paid extra for this insurance in the past.

If your flight is cancelled there won't necessarily be a knock on effect.- if you are on the10am flight & its cancelled but your friend is on the 3pm flight that isn't cancelled your friend will travel as normal & you will be given as seat if there is 1 or you may have to wait for the airline to accommodate you.

I have known people lose a couple of days of thier holiday due to flight delays, not good if its a week but I've not heard of anybody losing their whole holiday - some people probably have though.

Airlines do have to pay compensation now but I doubt the ash cloud scenario would be covered by this as its not the airlines fault.

Its been on the news since October that another ash cloud is expected, lets hope the airlines have learned from last time & will have some kind of procedure ready to put in place if its as bad as last time.

Personally I see air travel as a bit of a gamble in terms of delays & cancellations as had my fair share, luck plays a big part in my opinion.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 10 December 2014, 14:43
Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volcanic ash insurance.

I would agree with chezza - but have a good look at various policies and if you can find one which does include it, or offers to include it for just a small additional fee, it might be worth thinking about.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,150 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volcanic ash insurance.

I think that most travel insurance policies will cover delays resulting from volcanic eruptions, provided that the insurance is taken out before the eruption starts.

Bradford, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Volcanic ash insurance.

Thank you for your replays,we've booked to go for 3 weeks in August/September,so shall start looking for insurance now.

5. Re: Volcanic ash insurance.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2015, 05:48
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler