We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Alone

Sandbach, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Travelling Alone

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice. Im looking at going to Icmeler alone next year on holiday as the following year I want to work in Marmaris. Has anyone done this? I know people there but I was mainly thinking of doing a few trips and just relaxing mainly!! Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
748 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Alone

Hi Liz

I went to Icmeler by myself in June this year & enjoyed some 'me' time - I thoroughly enjoyed it and was welcomed everywhere as a solo traveller, even in places where I didn't know anybody.

My advice is take a book, phone, kindle or ipad for when you are out & about in the evening as if the staff are busy it can be a bit lonely, although a good dose of people watching is also fun. There were several ocassions when I was asked to join people for dinner and it was nice to make new friends.

Have you researched working in Turkey as it can be quite difficult for foreign national to get work there? The consequences of working without the correct permit can be severe with deportation and the threat of being banned from travel there for a few years .

I'm not trying to scare you but repping for a tour company might be your best way forward.

Best of luck.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
996 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Alone

Totally agree with Chezza, the harsh reality of it here in Turkey is that working LEGALLY is practically impossible. Many places will offer "safe working environments" however jealousy of other businesses could cause them to shop your employer in to the authorities for having illegal workers (this has happened in Fethiye a few times and I imagine in other holiday resorts in Turkey) and I think your employer would rather save their own neck than yours- you do see people in resorts in a very different light to when you are in resort on holiday!

I don't mean to be harsh but this is unfortunately the truth, there are many expats in Turkey who would relish the opportunity to work but its just not the case.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Sandbach, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Alone

Hi, in regards to the working, I wouldn't even risk it without getting all the correct work permits and visas! I was thinking more hotel work/rep work would be the best option anyway! I know how risky it can be and I wouldn't want to take the chance!

I thought about taking things like that to do, and I think if I don't do it I might regret it!

Thankyou for the help :)

Scotland
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Alone

Seen a lot of people travelling alone and it wouldnt bother me and youll more than likely meet up with plenty of people.

As to working I hear its pretty difficult maybe the best solution with be with a tour company as a rep or part of an hotels entertainment team. Good luck.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Alone

think the difficulty obtaining to correct paperwork and work permit is because you have to prove that a turkish national could not do the job your going to do which is very very difficult. matt

Scotland
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling Alone

This year the hotel we stayed in were interviewing people for their entertainment team and employing them, at least two people we saw, we spoke to one of the girls and she was employed legally and had her papers she said. No idea how she heard of the jobs or applied for them, it was her first season and second time in Turkey.

Maybe have a look at applying to Thomsons and Thomas Cook etc. #

Hope it goes well for you

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
996 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling Alone

Yes there are much better chances with a tour operator like cooks or thomson etc, though when applying for rep/airport jobs its worth noting you dont get to choose where you go- you are able to state a preference however you well get the job and sent somewhere other than marmaris and could not even be Turkey. If you apply to tour operators its better to apply in the UK -dont come out first than expect to apply for position once in Resort. Companies will recruit from the UK and then should they need extra staff will often only be interested in those non turkish citizens here with a Kimlik not just on a residency permit.

In terms of the girl you spoke to- I doubt she would tell people she is working illegally & would say she had papers etc irregardless.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling Alone

Marmaris Recruitment:

https://www.facebook.com/marmarisrecruitment

https:/…129080460489791

http://www.marmarisrecruitment.com/

Alan

Mentioned in this post
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
748 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling Alone

I understand Olympic Holidays have a section on their application form asking about location preferences & why.

CHESTER
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling Alone

My daughter was a rep for Thomsons and was asked for preferences of where she would like to be based,she put Turkey but was put in Majorca.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler