We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Review with a very important message

Handforth, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Review with a very important message

Stayed in Icmeler 8th – 22nd September at Palm Gardens Apartments. 5th time here and Icmeler.

Found Icmeler no different than usual , maybe a little quieter than usual but sadly the restaurant hassle I thought had been stopped was in full swing! The loss of the apple pie man in the square was the biggest loss as far as I am concerned!

Got between 3.50 and 3.55lira to the £ for the fortnight at various shops.

This year tried a few different restaurants, Sidiks (very good), Blue Sky (nice but not really sure what all the hype is about) and Winehouse (thought this was good – but as you read on you’ll find my reservations). Ate at our favourites from the past Hanedans and Wayside as well and ate a few meals at the Palm Garden Apartments (as usual these eateries were excellent).

Also did trips with Thomson including the Istanbul by air day trip, blue cruise deluxe and the secret valley. These 3 trips were expensive and were definitely mis-sold and I wouldn’t recommend any of them (I will review all of them at a later date). We also did the Icmeler on line £10 bbq boat trip with Adem; as usual this was an excellent day which does what it says on the tin.

Now to the “main” event and the most important part of this review MAKE SURE YOU HAVE TRAVEL INSURANCE and that you take the documentation with you. I had the mis-pleasure of being hospitalised for a couple of days with a bowel/intestine infection (food poisoning they think). This illness started on the Tuesday (early morning) after eating at Winehouse, I assumed it was just the usual dodgy holiday belly (too many Efes etc.) so soldiered on. Appetite loss and not wanting alcohol on Tuesday and Wednesday should have rung bells but it was the sudden blood loss Wednesday night/Thursday morning that really set alarm bells ringing. Thursday the doctor was called and he got an ambulance and rushed me into AHU hospital in Marmaris (the wife said it was the most terrifying driving she has had the “pleasure” of being in a vehicle for) You think Turkish drivers are mad, try being driven in an ambulance with the siren wailing. Anyway to cut a long story short I spent 2 days in hospital on a drip and having a lot of anti-biotics pumped into me. I am now also on 3 lots of tablets. Now the insurance part – you need to have the documentation and your passport to even use the ambulance (they photocopy the details in the ambulance and at the hospital). Because I had all the details I only had to pay for my prescription at the end, those who only had the insurance card had to pay in full and will have to claim the money back later, where I only have to claim the 55lira for the prescription. If you take nothing else from this review PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU TAKE OUT TRAVEL INSURANCE

Not put me off Icmeler and will return but after 5 visits in 4 years I may miss a year

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Winehouse
Winehouse
680 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Palm Garden Apartments
Palm Garden Apartments
583 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,294 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Review with a very important message

Fantastic review and very unfortunate about your time in hospital.. hope your well on your way to recovery.... very good info regarding insurance docs. Matt

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Review with a very important message

Thanks for the review Corky. Sorry you ended up in hospital but at least your insurance fully covered your stay and emphasises how important it is to be fully covered. Interested in your views on Istanbul as it is a place I would like to visit.

Mentioned in this post
edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,969 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Review with a very important message

Thanks for posting your review, Corky - hope you are well on the mend now, and yes, it is a timely warning to everyone to make sure they have proper travel insurance.

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Review with a very important message

Very good review corky. Don't know why but this week the resort is very busy. Hope you are Ok now and it doesn't put you off. Quite a lot of people have been ill this last few weeks. People are saying it is unusually hot this year and the pool water seems to be a question on everyone's minds

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Review with a very important message

thanks for taking the time to post, hope you are feeling much better now. Was there any particular reson that you booked your excursions with Thomsons. I usually find the travel company trips much more expensive

My wife took seriously ill in Icmeler years ago and like you she ended up in Ahu Hetman in Marmaris. I was in the front of the ambulance as they drove to the hospital with siren wailing and as your wife said that in itself was a scary experience. The hospital itself however was excellent

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Balloch, United...
Level Contributor
694 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Review with a very important message

Thank you for posting a very full and informative review and hope you are well on the mend now. This also happened to a man at our apartments this year and it was a real scary experience for him and his wife too. As you say it is vitally important to have correct insurance and although my insurance company provide me with a credit card size document with details of policy I always take all the paperwork with me too, hoping of course that I will not need it. Thanks for your advise regarding this matter.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
756 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Review with a very important message

Thank you for this Corky & hope you are feeling better.

I used to work in insurance sales & there were ocassions when people accused me of scaremongering to close the sale. However I think unitl somehting happens or people witness something so many generally are oblivious to the consequences & its worrying.

Stories such as yours bring it home that decent cover is required.

edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,969 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Review with a very important message

Also worth rerminding folk that you should have travel insurance in place as soon as you book your holiday - I know a lot of people seem to leave it until just before they travel, but if anything does happen and you have to cancel, it could save you a fortune.

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Review with a very important message

A good review Corky thanks for posting,sorry to hear you was ill and needed to be admitted to hospital,hope you are on the mend now..Must agree with the importance of having the correct insurance its a must for everyone traveling abroad..

Wendy

Handforth, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday Review with a very important message

Thanks everyone for the get well messages. Been to the UK doctors and will have to undergo further tests but it does appear to have been food poisoning, still not 100% 8 days after it started and the doctor here reckons it may take another week or so to settle down.

IainD - Istanbul Review should get uploaded today (I'll add it to my original question regarding the excursion)

SMC - Only chose Thomsons because they were offering these different excursions and I had done all the other excursions available in resort.; they may have been sold as Thomsons excursions but they were all with TanTur in the end (a TUI company). Definitely felt ripped off as they were not cheap trips

Edited: 24 September 2014, 20:56
Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations