We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icmeler ....not that good!

Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Icmeler ....not that good!

People are fantastic warm and friendly, but I'm reviewing this for the younger people, under 55s who've been before 2012. The food, shops, and the place itself is still lovely, but, and its a big but, the nightlife has been almost totally wiped out. Not more than a couple of bars have any real entertainment anymore, no more crazy fire shows, fireworks, bar top dancing , karaoke etc. Used to be out until early hours not any more, apparently due to some overzealous new mayor whos rigourously enforcing entertain licencing. Just a real shame, follows the demise of all the canal shops and the weekly market that now only allows fruit and veg!

edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Icmeler ....not that good!

Lol, we're under 55 and loved our holiday even more this year - more like the Icmeler we fell in love with all those years ago. If you want in-your-face entertainment, there are resorts more suited to that kind of thing than Icmeler.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Icmeler ....not that good!

We are here now and love it, plenty of entertainment just not in your face anymore, we will see what happens next year as the market is due back next year, the land has been cleared of rubbish already

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Icmeler ....not that good!

We are here now and love it, plenty of entertainment just not in your face anymore, we will see what happens next year as the market is due back next year, the land has been cleared of rubbish already

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Icmeler ....not that good!

All that is happening is that the mayor is enforcing rules which have been in place for a few years but by and large have been blatantly ignored. He was supported by the locals who felt they were unfairly treated because they did abide by the rules while those who came in for the season made as much as they could without paying for the correct licences. I spoke to a few traders in May who felt the place had gone downhill badly in the last few years and who felt drastic action was needed to halt the decline. As I've said before on this subject, if people don't like the changes then they will go elsewhere but there will always be new visitors who like what they see.

Bristol
Level Contributor
90 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Icmeler ....not that good!

We are here at moment and loving icmeler yes this is our first visit and we are over 55 but plenty going on and it is cheap and easy to get into marmaris for an evening if you want clubs and bar street we didn't want that so are very happy with out choice!

northwich
Level Contributor
278 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Icmeler ....not that good!

Mr Mayor,

Change no 1 is to reinstate the canal stalls, Bring a bit of life back to that area.

Maybe put a band or the like on the stage in the centre of town a couple of nights a week.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Icmeler ....not that good!

Went this year in May and loved it and I am under 55, only just. I was sick of the crap "entertainment" Michael bloddy Jackson, Robot dancer etc it is just so old hat especially if you had seen it all before. Maybe its because I am a certain age but I prefer to meet up with friends and be able to speak with them in a relaxed atmosphere.

I appreciate that not everyone is the same, many will like to get up have a dance etc, there are still plenty of places that do this not 1 or 2 as the OP had indicated. Plenty of palces doing karaoke if that is your thing as well.

Icmeler has changed over the years sometimes for the better , new square, new prom, sometimes for the worse, doing away with canal stalls,market, but people still return and new people also have their holidays there. On balance its still my fav holiday destination

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
752 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Icmeler ....not that good!

The trick is to know where to go. I'm 35, wonder bar & canary bar were really good nights out when I was in icmeler in June. I'd argue it's killed the resort completely it's just a little different now. I for one love it still.

England
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Icmeler ....not that good!

Well we're both well under 55 and one of the reasons we stopped going to Icmeler was owing to all the reasons you've highlighted. We're going back this year (fly out Saturday) and we're looking forward to visiting the Icmeler we used to frequent years ago.

I'm sure all of the things you're looking for are available just a short dolmus away.

Each to their own as they say!

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Icmeler ....not that good!

Well we are both well under 55yrs and we love the relaxed atmosphere, yes im sad to see the canal stalls have gone and the market, but glad the crap robot and Michael Jackson have gone,

Not everyone likes the same but we love icmeler and can't wait to go back

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler