We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol on Flight

Sandbach, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Alcohol on Flight

Hi, my friend and I are travelling back in September and I wondered, if I wanted to purchase an alcoholic drink on board, will they refuse to serve me as my friend is still 17? I wouldn't know if this would affect anything and wanted to check!

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,955 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Alcohol on Flight

If you are over 18 they wont refuse to serve you. They may not serve your friend though.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
776 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Alcohol on Flight

Hi Liz

I think if you ordered the drinks it would be ok - its the selling of alcohol to under 18s thats against the law, not the consumption of it.

Enjoy your holiday!!

Sandbach, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3. Re: Alcohol on Flight

I thought that it might be ok if I ordered them aswell! Suppose I can always try :)

Thankyou !!

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,955 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Alcohol on Flight

The worst they can do is refuse you :)

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
12,520 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Alcohol on Flight

i personally think it wouuld be dependant on how old your friend looks, they will still have a "think21" policy onboard even though its probably more lax than in the shops/supermarkets over here. if your friend looks young for 17 im sure they will ask for i.d, worth trying though. matt

Sandbach, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6. Re: Alcohol on Flight

She doesn't look young for 17 so that's a plus I suppose! I was just concerned whether they would stop me buying alcohol, even if I brought 2 drinks I wasn't aware whether they would i.d her or not!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
12,520 posts
53 reviews
7. Re: Alcohol on Flight

unless they think shes too young they wont know her age as they wont have checked passport... give it a try nothing to lose.. another idea and do be careful; if you consider it, buy a couple bottles of duty in free in your departure airport along with a couple bottles of mixers..... thne buy a can of pop on the flight and ask for a plastic cup for it.. matt

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,881 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Alcohol on Flight

Not good advice Matt - I believe it is actually illegal to drink your own booze on a flight - something about the flight attendants have to be able to control your intake, blah blah. Anyway its as bad as taking your own hooch into a pub.... Besides which the under 17 one could be done by Customs in UK for being underage for buying Duty Free...

If I were you Liz, I would stick with just asking for the 2 drinks for you and your mate.

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris, Armutalan
Level Contributor
18,282 posts
111 reviews
9. Re: Alcohol on Flight

I cant believe what a'm reading Lol buy duty free and open it up and take on the plane this is not advised Liz its against air-line rules if caught you will have all your duty free confiscated.

As Attagal says its the exact same thing as buying your own drink and going into a bar and drinking it unbelievable.

Liz a'm sure your worrying about nothing at the very worse the attendant will ask to see your friends ID which would just mean you have 2 drinks :))

Stevie

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
61 reviews
10. Re: Alcohol on Flight

As well as being confiscated the plane could be diverted and you are told to get off

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations