We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tradtional Turkish food

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Tradtional Turkish food

Kayra, Nefis Pide, Kardelen, Meryem...

What's everyone's favourite?

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
167 reviews
1. Re: Tradtional Turkish food

Meryem Yemik Evi,,Hanedans,,Kardelen,,Nefis Pide and Selam,they are the only traditional restaurants we have tried up to now,and all been very good....Will be trying some others when we go back next month..

Wendy

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,206 posts
214 reviews
2. Re: Tradtional Turkish food

Meryem Yemek Evi and Hanedan are among our favourite, but Nefis, Kardelen and Kayra are also very good. Also try the little cafe type places such as Ugra, Sofra and Burcu - good food and so cheap!

Edited: 10 August 2014, 21:20
Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Tradtional Turkish food

My current favourite is Meryem Yemek Evi. Most restaurants though will have traditional Turkish food on the menu so it is not necessary to search out the more traditional restaurants to try the food.

Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Tradtional Turkish food

My Favorite is Nefis Pide, We got a meal for 3 with Drinks (soft, no Alcohol on sale) and starters all for 47 lira, the quality was excellent. As people have said, Turkish food is available in all restaurants however I feel that the quality and value is best sort in traditional outlets.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Tradtional Turkish food

I personally think that whilst it is true that all the restaurants have traditional food available that the "touristy" ones tend to cook it for the tourist. I mean eating what were called traditional dishes in Champagne or Majestic as lovely as they were was different to eating in hanedans etc. The amount of spices used in what I call the very traditional restaurants was way more than in the touristy places. In fact the meal I had in hanedans was too spicy for me to enjoy. I would suggest that any one who doesn't like their food very spicy sticks with the touristy places where the meals are just as good as the very trad places. just my opinion

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Tradtional Turkish food

The reason I mentioned other restaurants having Turkish food is because I get the impression that there are visitors who feel they will only get authentic food if they visit a ''traditional'' restaurant. There are also those who are wary of trying Turkish food or who don't feel comfortable when faced with a menu they are not familiar with. In the ''touristy'' restaurants they will be able to try Turkish food in surroundings they feel comfortable in. I agree though that there is a difference and I personally prefer the less ''touristy'' restaurants for Turkish food.

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,206 posts
214 reviews
7. Re: Tradtional Turkish food

Yes, I agree with you, Iain - we prefer the more traditional restaurants too, but there are some of the more "touristy" ones, if you like, which do some very good Turkish dishes and are probably a good way of introducing people to Turkish cuisine, especially if they are a wee bit wary of trying it...

Oh, and LenL48, never be afraid to ask how spicy a dish is, or ask for it to be made a bit less spicy - we find they are only too happy to explain the food to you and tailor it to your requirements if you wish.

Edited: 12 August 2014, 23:15
southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
61 reviews
8. Re: Tradtional Turkish food

I am the same I prefer more traditional places. A lot of the time now I prefer to eat in the old village

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
365 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Tradtional Turkish food

We went into a little turkish cafe (probably about 2 weeks ago) for lunch. I cant remember the name of it (useless with remembering names still) but it was up the road from the little bakers selling bread round the corner from tansas. The food was lovely :) it was an experience as our turkish is very limited to say the least and so was their english :) in the end the man working there asked another turkish man who was in there eating with his son to translate for us ( he spoke very good english) it turned out that hw wanted to know if we would like to move tables as the sun was shinning on us or if we were happy there as we had 3 children with us and he thought we'd be more comfortable in the shade. Anyway, while this other turkish man was talking to us he encouraged us to try this turkish drink called Ayran. Apparently the turkish drink it at lunch time and its supposed to be very good for you, its yogurt, water and a little bit of salt. We tried it, I didn't like it but my husband really liked it, that much so that thats what he had to drink every lunch time and even bought a big bottle of it from tansas to put in the fridge in the apartment. Suppose it pays to try something different

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
167 reviews
10. Re: Tradtional Turkish food

I love the Ayran drink too,and drink it everyday in Turkey,I have even made it home using natural Greek yogurt,iced water and salt,Its very good for your tummy..

Wendy

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations