We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

re travellers check / cash

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
194 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
re travellers check / cash

Does anyone know if u get the same rates for cash as u do for travellers check.

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
996 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: re travellers check / cash

You will in some places often be charge commission on using travellers cheques( up to 9%!) and therefore mean you can get less for your money once you've paid the commission.

Also worth noting is the rate in Turkey at the moment is much higher than in the UK so i would advise getting a small amount of lira in the UK and bringing the rest of your spending money in sterling to change as and when you need to.

Alternatively if your concern is the security of your cash, check with your bank as to whether they charge for sterling cash withdrawals abroad. I have a nationwide flexdirect card and I withdraw £ from the atm's without charge and then change it to lira at one of the change offices. This way you don't have large amounts of cash in your hotel room safe and also you can benefit from the better exchange rate without paying commission!

Hope this helps ☺️

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: re travellers check / cash

Yeah that helps alot thank you.

Sunbury-On-Thames...
Level Contributor
110 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: re travellers check / cash

Some of the small supermarkets don't charge commission so travellers cheques are what I am taking. Never had a problem getting them changed at a good rate before

4. Re: re travellers check / cash

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler