We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bees/wasps in September

Level Contributor
121 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bees/wasps in September

Hi all first to time going to icmeler? Thinking of staying at the club aqurium, anyone know if it's a good choice? Also I have heard there is many bees/wasps in the resort in September and they are dying off at this time and angry and many people get stung, any truth in this? I have a huge phobia of wasps, and if they were everywhere I think I would book else where for this time of year. I know sounds silly but it would spoil my hols. Thanks

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
365 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bees/wasps in September

I know people who have stayed at club aquarium and said they loved it.

We went last week in sept first week in oct 2 years ago and there was a few wasps around nut we're not talking swarms. We found them worse on the boat trips when the boat stopped still. Try not to let them spoil your hols. You just need to be careful when sitting down etc as they are that dozy they are maybe on your sun loungers or chairs etc and thats when people get stung. I hatw them as well but had a great time

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bees/wasps in September

We went last September and had heard the same about the previous year, but must say we never did see any last year though.

Wendy

Level Contributor
121 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bees/wasps in September

Thank you for replies. Xx

Ramsey, United...
Level Contributor
499 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bees/wasps in September

This will be our 3rd time staying in Icmeler for the 1st 2 weeks of September. The first year I was stung on the leg by a sleepy bee whilst on the beach and last year I saw the same thing happen to another lady. As for wasps, there seemed to be a few around at breakfast time but didn't see them later on. If you ignore them they don't really bother you, but as the previous poster says watch where you sit, lie etc.

We went to Rhodes (Pefkos) at the same time of year a while back and it was the same there with added bonus of millions of tiny ants everywhere.

Enjoy your holiday wherever you decide to go.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
365 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bees/wasps in September

We got told by a barman when there that they come fown from the mountains at that time of year looking for warmth as its cooling down ip in the mountains then. It really does tend to be the ones you dont see that sting you lol. That sounds daft but its the ones like I said earlier that get sat on or leant against, stood on etc tbat will sting, the ones flying around are easy enough to avoid so be vigilant when sitting etc and also when getting out of the pool and you'll be fine

Balloch, United...
Level Contributor
694 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bees/wasps in September

I too have experienced stings whilst visiting Icmeler in September/October. I have been stung whilst standing in a jacuzzi minding my own business and in a shop whilst trying on a scarf, which it must have been on and not seen. As others say you have to be vigilant as to where you walk around poolside bare footed, when you sit or lie down and I have found that a particular supermarket brand of sunscreen seems to be a magnet. When people were being followed by wasps/bees we asked them what sunscreen they were using and it was usually this brand. I do not want to mention it here in case I am contravening any code of conduct but would be happy to tell you if you send me a private message.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 18:42
Warrington
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bees/wasps in September

I have been stung a few times in September but only on the beach. Once I stood on one, my friend lay on one but it wouldn't put me off. If you put vinegar on the sting, it's a natural antiseptic, also the lemon cologne is good.

Level Contributor
121 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bees/wasps in September

Thank you all so kindly for sharing, I can't lie I am concerned about this, I'm one of those stupid people that flaps about and runs off when one comes near me, which I know only makes them chase you. I went to oludeniz last year in June and didn't see any. I wish I had booked icmeler for June this year.

orwich
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bees/wasps in September

We also had a problém with the wasps but didnt spoil the hol my little girl Got stung On poolside &as soon as She was bitten people ať hotel put an ammonia pen On the sting & all was forgotten now we always take oné with us as someone said vinegar also good just watch where u síť stand happy hols " Dont worry

Balloch, United...
Level Contributor
694 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bees/wasps in September

I should have said it hasn't put me off going to Icmeler at that time of the year and hope you continue with your plans.

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations