We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying with sprained ankle

bolton
Level Contributor
63 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
flying with sprained ankle

Hi thanks in advance

Had bad sprain Saturday night - lucky X rayed and it's not broken.

But apprehensive about mentioning this at airport as they may not let me fly? But worried about the jostling getting into the plane and causing another added trauma to it. Should I mention it?

as anybody experienced a similar problem week before flying ( next tuesday) and resting it like mad on the hope it will be strog and pain free?

Any advice

bolton
Level Contributor
63 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying with sprained ankle

Should mention the sprain was my left ankle

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying with sprained ankle

Im sure you be fine I injured my leg six weeks ago on my mountain bike and its still swollen and im flying in less than two weeks, im staying quiet lol I would like to know if flying will affect my leg though?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying with sprained ankle

Normally you should be able to put resume walking after 5-7 days after a sprain. If you are worried about the rush to get on the flight either book your seats in advance or order priority boarding. That way you can casually stroll onto the plane at your own pace, rest assured you won't be clambering for a good seat.

Hope it doesn't affect your hols too much!

nhs.uk/Conditions/…Treatment.aspx

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
982 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: flying with sprained ankle

Because you may incur swelling in sprained foot whilst flying, you could get some instant ice packs they are granules in a pack that when you crack the pack it goes icy cold you could use that to keep swelling down. Get before you go, chemist or Amazon, as not sure if Boots at airport stock them. You will need to try to elevate foot on an empty seat if possible and also keep it away from aisle traffic onboard. When there get ice in bag wrap in towel not direct on skin and rest it time to time to help recovery. Good luck.

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying with sprained ankle

Good advice all ready given there....Just make sure you tell your insurance company about your injury,just incase you need any medical treatment while you are there...Hope all goes well for you and you can enjoy your holiday...

Wendy

bolton
Level Contributor
63 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying with sprained ankle

Thanks all, l good idea re the ice crystals and informing the insurance company.

Hadn't thought about either

thanks again and fingers crossed this time next week I'll be back on my feet !

bolton
Level Contributor
63 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying with sprained ankle

DawnandRobert I'll let u know how the flight goes. Hoping u have a speedy recovery

Edited: 10 June 2014, 10:39
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
773 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying with sprained ankle

Maybe take an asprin before you board the flight, especially if you don't feel able to move around the plane.

wigan
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flying with sprained ankle

I personally would plan minimum one rest day on arrival It takes me 3-5 days to recover properly after a flight though I do have many internal leg plates/screws bars.

Ibuprofen helps start taking 3-4 days befor you travel and continue when you land.

I travel in well strapped boots not over tight.

Stay hydrated on the plane.

Make sure bad side is not on the aisle.

Most of all take your time no rushing a gentle potter will still get you there last thing you want to do is go over on it take advantage of people around you taking bags from trolley etc etc.

I travel with a walking pole for extra support you can get cheap one for around £5 sports shop ebay etc just leave it when your fit no great expence.

wigan
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flying with sprained ankle

Also when you get there 20-30 dangling your legs in salt water perfect enourmous benefits faling that your hotel pool, salt water much better though.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 18:20
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations