We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile phone charges?

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
mobile phone charges?

Looking at taking our phones (orange network) mainly to text and for pictures can anyone confirm if we turn off roaming then we wont get any nasty surprises when we get home, and is txt msg the same price ad over here?

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile phone charges?

You would probably be best asking Orange, as text and MMS charges can vary by provider and be tariff dependant.

Have you considered using the widely available Free WiFi, and an app such as Messenger, Whatsapp, etc.?

Edited: 21 May 2014, 17:38
Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile phone charges?

After my wife got a very nasty surprise a few years ago we now don't use our phones. Free WiFi is widely available so I use FaceTime on my iPod and my wife uses Skype on her tablet. Great making face to face calls every couple of days without worrying about the cost.

Level Contributor
226 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile phone charges?

Download an app called travel angel its free on orange this will have everything you need to know very helpful app

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobile phone charges?

Hey, i work at O2....I know the prices differ from network to network but ours is 40p per text sent (you're not charged to receive texts on any network) and calling back to the UK is £1.50 per minute x

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mobile phone charges?

Thanks everyone x

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mobile phone charges?

I am with O2 and it's expensive I either ring home with a phone card or use viber for calls and texts now

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
584 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mobile phone charges?

Yes turn your data roaming off and mobile network off and just use the free wifi available in most places for the internet.

Texts will cost approx 40p each

I would turn your voicemail off too as you get charged to receive phonecalls even if it connects to your voicemail

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mobile phone charges?

Vodafone charge £3 per day abroad, and nothing if you do not use phone. Orange may have a similar thing ?

9. Re: mobile phone charges?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler