We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how secure are the safes???

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
how secure are the safes???

Hi everyone with time getting closer, I got a subject Im concerned about, we plan on putting our money passports etc in the safes that you hire, how sercure are they and would you trust all your money in them ?

thanks for any replies in advance, hope averyone has a great time

edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how secure are the safes???

All I can say is that in any of the places we've stayed - hotels or apartments - we have never had a problem with them. I prefer the safes which are in your room and you have the key, rather than the ones in reception where you have one key and they keep another and you need both to open them. However, I think either way, you are best getting a safe in any case, because if the worse does happen, your travel insurance is unlikely to pay out unless you have secured any valuables in a safe.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how secure are the safes???

Thanks blondiscot id rather a safe in room aswell its just we are takeing all cash and wanted reassurance lol

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
365 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how secure are the safes???

I always wonder how safe the safes are as well but then always think well our things are safer in one than not in one. Ive never had anything stolen when ive had everything in a safe but have had money stolen (all of it) when we didn't get a safe (in marmaris) and as blondiescot said your insurance is more likely to pay out if you've taken all the security you can to protect your belongings

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: how secure are the safes???

Good idea to have a photocopy of your passport, keep proof of bank receipts on any cash drawn before you go and when abroad. 2nd copy of travel documents too. You would need proof if you had to claim on travel insurance of cash amounts. Take numbers of any debit/ credit cards you take with you, also could be photo copy but Keep this apart from things in safe, in case the worst happens. Lock balcony doors when you leave your room too. A rubber wedge or two taken with you handy in front of door/balcony door when you are in room or asleep.

Then have a super care free holiday, knowing you have done your best to be secure.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
365 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how secure are the safes???

im probably going to sound very stupid here but would a rubber door stop really stop your balcony door being opened? Im assuming that you puy it in the runner but would the door not just push it back with it? If it does work I will certainly take a couple for security and also to stop my youngest son from been able to open the doorto get out onto the balcony

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
946 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: how secure are the safes???

Sorry didn.t make myself very clear regarding rubber wedges. Many hotels don,t have the sliding door, it,s for use in a single opening door to balcony. or the front door if there is no chain on it. Given the tip awhile back and I put it to good use. Regards your little one gaining access to balcony, lock door, keys up high , safety pin to a curtain out of reach perhaps.i know table and chairs outside ideal climbing equipment for children escaping.

edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how secure are the safes???

You can also buy door alarms which you can take with you if you are particularly concerned about security - I have seen people talking about them on other forums. You can buy them on the likes of amazon and ebay.

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how secure are the safes???

Another tip for doors which open inwards. When going to bed place a chair against the door. The noise of it scraping on the floor should be enough to waken you or put a thief off. More importantly don't leave your common sense at the airport. A few years ago in our apartment I did and decided to leave a window open because of the heat. Needless to say found in the morning we'd had a visitor.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
365 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how secure are the safes???

We have a couple of door alarms that we are going to take with us, purely again for the safety of our little boy. Im scared of him wandering during the night and when we were abroad the last time the main door was funny, when locked you could open it from the inside without a key but needed a key to get in from the outside (hope that makes sense) so will be using the alarms and also a chair or something in front of the door. Thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
341 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how secure are the safes???

We have only ever stayed at the Alvaro and their safes are in the open reception. They are opened with 2 keys and there is a night watchman. Have never heard of anything going missing from the safes there. However we did notice that my daughters perfume was going down at a rapid rate and our cleaning ladies smelt lovely. We now put them away. Lol.

Mentioned in this post
Alvaro
Alvaro
385 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler