We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angry with new trick at Dalaman airport dutyfree be warned.

liverpool
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Angry with new trick at Dalaman airport dutyfree be warned.

Just come back from Icmeler and have to warn other members of something i have never experienced before in nearly 20 years of traveling through this airport. bought a bottle of raki and the cost in Lira was 28 i gave notes totaling 30 and while i`m having my passport passed around another person is bagging up my bottle, i get my purchase and then my passport is handed back to me near the exit part of checkout, i then realise that i have not received my change and ask if its in the bag looking directly at the girl on till, she huffs and opens the till and hands me my change.

Dont believe she was Turkish i think possibly Russian or East European and i certainly don`t believe it was a one off mistake on her part.

Makes me angry that they think we are easy targets and won`t care about a couple of Lira about 60p on the way home, if you shopped at home and a shop kept your change knowingly would you just walk away? it is stealing plain and simple, anyone else experienced it this year?

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angry with new trick at Dalaman airport dutyfree be warned.

In a very busy duty free shop any chance it could have been a genuine error?Ever thought maybe she was just having an off day?Or forgot?Never happened to you in the UK?It happens.

What a pointless post over 60p.If you'd given her a 100TL note it may have been worth pointing out but I doubt she would have changed her life with 2 TL.

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angry with new trick at Dalaman airport dutyfree be warned.

It might be only two lira this time, but could be more next time to another traveller, plus each lira adds up, over a day if that happened to each person who bought from the duty free shop, it could be a nice little earner for some one.

Yes its possible she might have forgot, but then again just as possible she did not, so thats a 50/50 chance each way.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,529 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angry with new trick at Dalaman airport dutyfree be warned.

İ would also think it was just a mistake, and if this would happen in Liverpool, your own town you would not be bothered to post it on a world wide web. İ do worry about the attitude that people can be so suspicious, that every mistake made by a Turkish person is immediately thought to be a trick, a cheat.

Edited: 11 October 2013, 16:23
Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,976 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angry with new trick at Dalaman airport dutyfree be warned.

I can be as cynical as the next person, but must admit, I've have put this down to being a simple mistake or error too...

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Angry with new trick at Dalaman airport dutyfree be warned.

I suppose if this happened your own Home time, you would not make a posting, just return to the Cashier & point it out.

But after the number of posting re the AZDA store in Olu giving short change, I suppose it makes people think .Especially if you were one of those caught out.

Plus who knows if some one else will now report the same thing???

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,529 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Angry with new trick at Dalaman airport dutyfree be warned.

Well, exactly, and that is what the OP did too, so not really any harm done.

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Angry with new trick at Dalaman airport dutyfree be warned.

OP. Sorry Villa Rhapsody, you will have to explain that one, I am ok with IMO Etc but never come across OP>

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,529 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Angry with new trick at Dalaman airport dutyfree be warned.

Well, you will laugh now, İ really do not know (not being British) but İ see that used here a lot, so İ made that to the Original Poster, maybe İ am lucky, perhaps İ am very wrong.... but somebody will tell us! :-)

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Angry with new trick at Dalaman airport dutyfree be warned.

Ok. Yes that would make sence, well you are not alone, I have no idea what it meant either. We learn some new every day.

Have to see if I spot it again in a future posting

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,606 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Angry with new trick at Dalaman airport dutyfree be warned.

Correct Original Poster lol

bobbie

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler