We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tap water?!

Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Tap water?!

Going to Turkey for the first time in July and just wondering if its the same as Greece where you have to use bottled water to brush your teeth etc, thanks :)

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
214 reviews
1. Re: Tap water?!

Although the water is said to be safe enough to drink, apparently it does have quite a high mineral content, which can cause upset stomachs for some people, so to be on the safe side, I would use the bottled water. Having said that, on the odd occasion, I have brushed my teeth etc with tap water and never had any bother. Better safe than sorry though...

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Tap water?!

I've always used tap water for brushing my teeth and never had a problem. I do the same in Greece incidentally. I wouldn't advise drinking it though because of the mineral content.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,956 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Tap water?!

I have been going to Turkey for over 20 years and lived there for 3 years and I never used bottled water to brush my teeth :)

Drink bottled water but you can brush your teeth with tap water. It is perfectly safe, it just doesn't taste nice.

stoke-on-trent
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: Tap water?!

dont forget when you have a shower the water is the same, so no worries about brushing your teeth as you will probably get a gob full of water taking a shower.lol. regards. Gavin

huddersfield
Level Contributor
128 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: Tap water?!

A little fact!

When we went to Gumbet last year we went on a jeep safari and was informed by the guide that the actually water that is used in the holiday resorts is shipped into the resorts in tankers from way inland.

If they didn't do this then they wouldn't be any water for the natives, another reason why you shouldn't drink it!

Darwen, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Tap water?!

In one hotel I stayed in in Marmaris once the water that came out of the shower was salt water :0(

Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
7. Re: Tap water?!

Think ill stick to bottled just to be safe! Thanks guys :) x

8. Re: Tap water?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations