We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there hassle here?

Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is there hassle here?

Hiya,

I Have booked to go to icmeler in August, I have never been to Turkey before and have heard it can be quite bad for hassling to go in restaurants and what not.

I've visited Rhodes before and there was the occasionally shout to go into there restaurant.

Thankyou for any responses

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there hassle here?

Have a read through the thread below just click on the link below here.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g609056-i10890-k…

North west
Level Contributor
519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there hassle here?

I have been for the last 4 years as a lone woman with her teenage sons. I have never experienced any hassle. I too was concerned but to be honest in the main it is down to individuals perception of what is hassle. to me it is more banter.....course they want you to go on their trips etc.....they rely on us tourists spending money. So long as I dont feel threatened, which I never did, it all adds to the atmosphere. every year I think the authorities clamp down a bit more and to be honest last year I felt the resort lacked a bit of the banter. After all we are on holiday - we want a bit of chat and a laugh.

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there hassle here?

Hi tamsin a

I don't think there is much hassle now but maybe I've just been often enough to know how to deal with it. They will ask you to look at their menus but a polite 'no thank you' should be enough. They will also try to engage you in conversation about how you are enjoying you're holiday, etc, but this soon turns to the merits of their restaurant over the competition. I accept that the guys are just trying to make a living so treat it more as friendly banter and I am never rude to them.They know they cannot push it too far as they are liable to be closed down for a few days if there are too many complaints about hassling. Don't worry about it too much and I hope you enjoy your first visit to Turkey.

Iain

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
northwich
Level Contributor
279 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there hassle here?

Quite right Iain a polite no always does the trick, Roll on friday.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there hassle here?

The beauty of Icmeler is there is very little in the way of hassle.

The market is possibly the only place you get it so if you don't fancy it don't go.

The restaurants will all try to get you in but in my experience that happens all over these days,it's no worse in Icmeler.

It's a beautiful place with lovely people,i'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there hassle here?

I do actually think that there is a big difference to last year, we went in May and didnt get any hassle at all

Doncaster, England...
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there hassle here?

I am here now. Bits and bobs but pussy cats compared to egypt! Nothing to worry about. A no thank u and a smile does the job. I promise

Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there hassle here?

Thankyou everyone! I feel alot better now. I expected some to go into there restaurants , but aslong as its not at all threatening i don't mind. Thankyou!

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there hassle here?

Big difference from last year and 2010. Just say no thank you and they won't hassle you any further. I also don't think it's a bad thing that my boyfriend's 6ft4 and they think he looks Turkish lol! So we never got hassled whatsoever last year. I also agree that Egypt was a million times worse than Turkey for hassle.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
silloth cumbria
Level Contributor
694 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there hassle here?

Been to a lot of places in Turkey,Olu Deniz/ Hisaronu is the place I have had next to no hassle,Bodrum was the worst,the Marmaris/Icmeler area is let's say in the middle ,You do get hassle ,so don't go expecting you won't,it's a while since I was there so other posters will have a better idea I suppose.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Hisaronu
Hisaronu
Oludeniz, Turkey
Bodrum
Bodrum
Mugla Province, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris