We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icmeler Review 17 May - 8 June Part 2

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Icmeler Review 17 May - 8 June Part 2

ACCOMMODATION

We were again staying at the Senem Apartments in the Old Village. This is the 3rd year on the trot that we have stayed there and really like them. Basic, clean apartments that provide everything you need for your stay. Not plush by any means but as we had paid a 3 star price we don't expect 5 star facilities. Good size balcony, which is important to me, and a good size pool, although it is the same depth all round so may not suit everyone. The food was good too although there was no pressure to eat there. The only downside was the WIFI. Signal strength was good around the bar area and on the balcony but move too far indoors and it was lost.

RESTAURANTS

Chicken dishes on average were 18 - 23 Lira with steak dishes averaging 30-35 Lira. Go for set meals or try some of the more traditional Turkish restaurants and they will be a lot cheaper. We found if we avoided alcohol with a meal and had water instead we could have a very decent meal for two for around £20.00. We never bothered with starters as bread was always supplied and rarely had dessert as melon was usually presented to us.

Restaurants we enjoyed most were The Lighthouse, Golden Moon, Venice and Captain Sinbad although to be honest we never had a bad meal anywhere. However this year our particular favourite was Meryem Yemek Evi on the road up to the old village directly opposite the Babadan Apartments. Not a fancy place, more like a cafe, but the food was great and very reasonably priced. Ate there quite a few times at different times in the day. Authentic Turkish cooking and frequented by a lot of Turks themselves.

TRIPS

Did the Akyaka trip and the Village Tour. Both very enjoyable and let you see a fair bit of the surrounding countryside with interesting stops inbetween. Took the advice of SueM and booked through April Travel. £20.00 for the Akyaka trip and £13.00 for the Village Tour. I'm not normally keen on organised trips but these were excellent and well worth the money.

Did our usual trip on the water taxi to Turunc. 10 Lira single or 15 Lira return. Went through early and had breakfast sitting on the quayside. One of our favourite parts of our holiday. Also took the dolmus through to Marmaris to have a wander through the bazaar. 2.50 Lira each way. If you want to see it without too much hassle and no throng of tourists go early. We were there just after 9 am and a lot of the traders were just opening up. Great to wander about at that time before having coffee in our favourite cafe in the centre of the bazaar.

PRICES

Like everywhere prices have gone up but not greatly so in my opinion other than alcohol which I would say is now on a par with back home. Meals in restaurants are still very good value and with a little bit of effort really good deals can be found. When we first arrived the rate was 2.74 but over the 3 weeks we were there was steadily rising. When we left it was averaging 2.85.

OVERALL

Before we went I was unsure how I would react to the new statues in the square but I actually thought they looked ok now that they have all been repainted a bronze/gold colour. At night when the fountains are all lit up there is a definite buzz in the square and it now has the type of atmosphere you used to get at the canal stalls.

The resort seemed to take a little time to come to life this year. In our first week everywhere was fairly quiet with some of the restaurants being almost empty. Things began to pick up during our second week and when we left on Saturday the place was beginning to buzz up quite nicely.

Overall we had a great time and despite the changes Icmeler still remains our favourite place.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Evi Hotel Rhodes
Evi Hotel Rhodes
475 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Babadan Hotel & Apartments
Babadan Hotel...
386 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Akyaka
Akyaka
Mugla Province, Turkey
Turunc
Turunc
Mugla Province, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Chester
Level Contributor
235 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Icmeler Review 17 May - 8 June Part 2

Excellent, thanks again for taking the time.

Dave

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Icmeler Review 17 May - 8 June Part 2

Cheers Dave. Helps make the holiday seem to last a little longer before I come back to reality with a bump

Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Icmeler Review 17 May - 8 June Part 2

Thanks for both parts of the review makes us a bit a ease of going as icmeler newbies 6 weeks to go can't wait :)

Handforth, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Icmeler Review 17 May - 8 June Part 2

Hi Iain,

Is this new favourite Turkish restaurant on the road which has that awful restaurant The Romance and the excellent Hanedan on (There's chalk and cheese restaurants). Just trying to get my bearings for September as I'll have to give the new restaurant a go

Ta

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Icmeler Review 17 May - 8 June Part 2

Hi Corky

You're spot on. Between Hanedan and Romance you have the Babadan Apartments. Meryem Yemek Evi is directly opposite.

Iain

Mentioned in this post
Babadan Hotel & Apartments
Babadan Hotel...
386 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Evi Hotel Rhodes
Evi Hotel Rhodes
475 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Balloch, United...
Level Contributor
694 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Icmeler Review 17 May - 8 June Part 2

Hi Iain. Thanks again for a very informative review which is full of really useful information. Glad you had a good time and Senem is up to it's usual standard. Your comment about the suitacase reminded me of the need to split the clothing between the two cases, which I have now done. We have managed to do a late booking and we go off this week. Like you, we are using DM transfers and glad you had a good experience with them. Maybe one day our paths will cross again in Icmeler.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
stoke-on-trent
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Icmeler Review 17 May - 8 June Part 2

thanks Iain for all the info, not long for us....regards Gavin

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Icmeler Review 17 May - 8 June Part 2

great reading lain, unfortunate about your luggage.... more so when you just want to get to your location. matt

9. Re: Icmeler Review 17 May - 8 June Part 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 10:45
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler