We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hassle

cheshire
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
hassle

considering turkey for late september for a week

would like to know can you browse in the shops without being pestered?

do you have to haggle or is their set prices?

we were speaking to a couple while on holiday earlier this year and they said shopkeepers etc are not allowed to hassle you as police close them down for a week or so.

would like to know if this is true.

went to tunisa in 2006 and the hassle you got was unbelieveable put us of going out.

regards tracey

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hassle

would like to know can you browse in the shops without being pestered?, Yes.

do you have to haggle or is their set prices? It might help your purse to haggle or just pay the asking price.

we were speaking to a couple while on holiday earlier this year and they said shopkeepers etc are not allowed to hassle you as police close them down for a week or so, yes the Council can close any shops bars restaurants down for periods of time. Note a polite no thank you to anyone who might ask you a question inside a shop is enough.

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hassle

We went in May this year and found that there was no hassle at all this year at all, we felt comfortable going in every shop, things have changed alot over the years and the shop keepers have now learnt their lesson not to hassle anymore

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hassle

Agree with both rwb and sue. Hassle not a problem. They will ask you to come in to their shop or restaurant but a polite no thank you, preferably in Turkish, should suffice. Haven't seen anywhere closed for hassling so maybe, as Sue says, they've learnt their lesson.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hassle

I went last year after being there previously in 2009 and noticed a massive difference. Just keep walking saying no thank you and they leave you alone. I also didn't get any hassle last year walking around myself which I did previously too. Big improvement!!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,205 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hassle

The bloke at the Romance Palace hassled us last month every time we went past until I got fed up and told him we didnt want to come into his restaurant.

He asked me why I was angry with him so I told him I didnt like being followed down the road!

Edited: 06 June 2013, 23:55
southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hassle

Oh yeah I remember knitter you wiped the floor with him lol

Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hassle

There is a bit of hassle but nowhere near what it was like 10 years ago. I will never be rude to the front man because I know they are doing their job trying to get customers in. I have seen people be really rude and nasty if they are even offered a menu to look at. I have seen many bars and restaurants closed down with the black and white'tape of shame' all over the front, but most learn they can't do it anymore, so things are a lot better.

8. Re: hassle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations