We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what food do people buy from the shop

Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
what food do people buy from the shop

Just wondering what food people buy from the shops,our minds always seem to go blank and we end up buying fresh bread salad stuff and big bags of lays crisps.I don't know if anyone else does this but I always think to myself Turkish people think us English are mad living off of bread and crisps.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
7,254 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: what food do people buy from the shop

Krem Paynir = cream cheese is great for dipping your crisps in! The Turkish sausages in the corner shops are good and tasty too. Yes, the fresh 1 TL bread is a must for every day usage. Be careful when buying butter as some of it has no salt and tastes awful - the one with the domed plastic lid on it seems to be the best.

Fresh fruit and vegetables in Turkey are wonderful - and if you have a microwave - how about baked potatoes with fresh salad?

Also, if you like a tipple - go for the red or white Kanver wine for only 8.5 TL per bottle - very tasty.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,912 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: what food do people buy from the shop

What are you catering for? Breakfast and lunch? Evening meals? Just snacks? Kids?

Bread and cheese and fruit and tomatoes and olives and wonderful yoghourt - you have a Turkish breakfast! Add some of the wonderful jams - I love the "visne" - black cherry jam. Also rose jam. Does your local market do chickens on a rotisserie? That and a salad make a great lunch - still warm off the spit! Grate some cucumber and add to the yoghourt for a dip to go with your crisps!

Thanks AngelaSurrey for the recommendation for the Kanver wine - have not come across that before. Good price - especially since the last tax increases in the New Year.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,960 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: what food do people buy from the shop

If my husband goes shopping we end up with bags and bags of food, fruit, veg, salad, cheese, olives, bread, nuts, honey, jam and loads of Efes! But then he is Turkish ;)

I actually love wandering round the supermarkets and getting yummy things to eat.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: what food do people buy from the shop

I always go in June and always buy cherries , Turkish cherries are the best.

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
214 reviews
5. Re: what food do people buy from the shop

Oh sandybeacham, me too - love Turkish cherries! I confess I don't really eat a lot of fruit here at home, but I love the fruit in Turkey - either from the little fruit shops or the markets - it's all just so much juicier and more delicious over there!

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,960 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: what food do people buy from the shop

Those cherries are gorgous aren't they, and the watermelon is wonderful too!

CHESTER
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
104 reviews
7. Re: what food do people buy from the shop

I love it when we go to the market and see the fruit and veg,the quality and freshness of it all look so appealing.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
49 reviews
8. Re: what food do people buy from the shop

Yes it is lovely to see the fruit in its all its glory, must admit i do go to Icmeler market for the fruit. I love seeing all the gorgeous fruit in its glory and what ever shape it is , so much tastier than the supermarkets at home who insist on size and shape but forget about taste.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
49 reviews
9. Re: what food do people buy from the shop

Agree with all of you, love the food out there!

I love all the seasonal fruit in Turkey, especially the cherries, strawberries, peaches, melons and figs and only like buying them from the market's.

The bakeries are the best for the bread, cakes and biscuits too and meat from the butchers.

I really don't like the supermarkets out there and feel the fresh produce is not as good.

I think the pide's, lahmacun's, borek's and kofte sandwiches are lovely for lunch and I always carry a great big bowl of mixed fruit in a cool bag for the beach.

AngelaSurrey I think the Turks like their bread as much as we do and seem to consume it with every meal! Who can blame them, their bread is the best!

Hadn't heard of Kanver wines either. Thanks for telling us.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,960 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: what food do people buy from the shop

Turks certainly do love their bread, my husband wont eat a meal if it doesn't have a loaf of bread to go with it!

When I lived in Turkey I would go down to buy fresh bread in the morning and all the Turks would be their buying 5 or 6 loaves for the day. It is gorgeous when fresh.

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations