We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

icmeler/marmaris hassle..compared to egypt

Doncaster, England...
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
icmeler/marmaris hassle..compared to egypt

Hello,

Me and my partner are looking at going to turkey for 2 weeks in june. One thing that worries if the hassle and harrasment from the shops and restaraunts. We went to sharm el sheik in egypt. The hassle there was pretty tiresome and stressful. Every time we walked into naama bay we were jumped on to buy this, buy that, eat here, drink here. I know to expect a bit of "salesmanship" from the turks as i have been there about 12 years ago. What is it really like? Am i going to be able to read a menu without being bounced on? am i going to be able to walk through the baazars without having service thrust upon me? Am I going to find the whole experience as bad as egypt? I know I am in a foreign country so have to do things their way but egypt was just unbearable. Basically i need thoughts from people who have done both egypt and turkey.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,205 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: icmeler/marmaris hassle..compared to egypt

Aaron if you can cope with Naama bay you will find Icmeler/Marmaris a doddle.

I have been to both places and the hassle in Turkey is virtually non existent to what it was years ago and compared to Egypt.

Usually a polite no thank you is enough although if you stop to read a menu they may ask you to come into their restaurant but they are not forceful as if they are seen hassling tourists they can be closed down.

We walked through the large bazaar in Marmaris last month and no one bothered us.

Doncaster, England...
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: icmeler/marmaris hassle..compared to egypt

awesome! perfect answer, thank you very much. Further opinions still would be greatly appreciated though. Would you mind taking a look at my other posts knitter44, see if you can help on those ones as well if you don't mind that is?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
431 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: icmeler/marmaris hassle..compared to egypt

Hello Aaron b

I'm sorry I haven't been to Egypt but I can say turkeys hassle is not what it was like in the past I've noticed a change in things over the last couple of years yes as knitter has said they have been warned as placed have been closed not long Go for harrissing tourists , I found. Marmaris to be the worst that I have seen but that's just my opinion tho, icmeler is more laid back, very nice &i personally found olu deniz to be my favourite. They just leave you to do your own thing, markets they can still be a little on the pushy side at times but hey there there to earn a buck or two , say no thank you &walk on, problem solved!! Have you booked up already have you or just planning for your return!

Lesley

NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: icmeler/marmaris hassle..compared to egypt

I have been to both countries, as well as Morocco, and we experienced the most amount of hassle, by far, in Egypt. We ended up buying most of our gifts in the shop in Luxor airport where no one bothered us and the prices were marked - it was such a relief. The salespeople in Turkey were much easier to deal with and the people in general were among the friendliest we've encountered.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,483 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: icmeler/marmaris hassle..compared to egypt

as other posters have said if you cant stand naama bay then you will find icmeler a breeze.... we heard some right horror stories in sharm people being locked in shops untill they bought stuff etc.... we liked visiting sharm for a change but the hassle was the wrost weve ever experienced. matt

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: icmeler/marmaris hassle..compared to egypt

My wife & I have been to both countries & can assure you that you will not experience hassle in Turkey like you get in Egypt.

Egypt is the worse Country i have visited for hassle from shop keepers.

We have visited 5 different resorts in Turkey & can assure you the turkish people are some of the friendliest people i have ever met.We have been going to Turkey for the last 5 years & would not think of going anywhere else.

We are already booked next year for Icmeler

Believe me you will love turkey.

Hope this helps

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: icmeler/marmaris hassle..compared to egypt

We're off to Na'ama Bay on 22 November for a week, before a week on the Red Sea onboard Thomson Celebration.

I'm looking forward to making a few comparisons.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: icmeler/marmaris hassle..compared to egypt

@Dazz48<<<Egypt is the worse Country i have visited for hassle from shop keepers.>>>

Have a read of this...

tripadvisor.co.uk/…24167305

!!

Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
617 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: icmeler/marmaris hassle..compared to egypt

I agree with all the above posts, we visited Naama Bay a couple of years ago for a weeks (early season) holiday and hated the hassle we experienced and would not return.

We holiday in Turkey 2-3 times every year (15 years in total) so have seen the hassle over the years change and is virtually non-existent now, usually it is just friendly banter from the door staff outside restaurants/bars.

No comparison to Egypt, we love it in Turkey and even enjoy the banter from the waiters etc.

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
538 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: icmeler/marmaris hassle..compared to egypt

Turkish hassle is friendly hassle

Naama bay hassle is quite honestly intimidating hassle.

There's no comparison. Just banter in Turkey.

Hope you enjoy your holiday

Yvonne

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations