We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking own food on holiday.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taking own food on holiday.

Hello everyone. Booked for the Club Sun Village for June next year, will we be OK to pack things like, bacon, sausages and butter in our hold luggage. I know we shouldn't be bringing food into the country, but feel sure I have read somewhere of others doing it every year and not having any problems.

Thanks..Caroline.

Mentioned in this post
Club Sun Village
Club Sun Village
398 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking own food on holiday.

I think it is against the rules to take meat into the country but some people do, it's up to you if you want to risk it

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,294 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking own food on holiday.

hi caroline, as sue has said its illegal to take in meat and dairy products to a foreign country, the fine is very hefty for each item found.... dont get me wrong plenty people do it ive done it myself on occasion but its the risk you take.... matt

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,500 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking own food on holiday.

I certainly wouldn't bother to take butter - you can buy that at a good price in Turkey.

If you usually have cereals for breakfast, they would be worth taking - don't weigh much and are very expensive over there.

Edited: 30 September 2012, 21:26
Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
617 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking own food on holiday.

We have always put bacon and sausages in our hold luggage going through Dalaman airport for the last 10 years or so and have never had a problem. We choose to do that because we stay for several weeks in a villa.

We have also done the same going to other countries without any problems, and know several other people that do the same.

Mentioned in this post
Dalaman Airport
Dalaman Airport
Dalaman, Turkey
glasgow
Level Contributor
479 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking own food on holiday.

i read some got fined over 1 thousand pounds so , im not risking it again ,

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking own food on holiday.

It is illegal to take meat and dairy produce into Turkey.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking own food on holiday.

Lots of people take their favourite meat and dairy products with them. I must admit I have done it myself on many occasions, particularly with bacon, and never had a problem. However it is illegal and there is the possibility of a hefty fine if caught.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking own food on holiday.

I stay in a villa in Turkey for up to 3 weeks at a time and there is really no need to take food unless you require speciality food or perhaps have a child who is a very fussy eater. There is a wide range of food in Turkey - all very fresh and cheap. Wonderful free range eggs and Turkish sausage ' sucuk ' with fresh bread for breakfast , or a cold Turkish breakfast or fresh fruit with yogurt and fresh natural honey. Why would you need bacon or sugary cereals ??

There is butter , fantastic range of organic cheese, fresh fruit and veg and lots of other choices. If you really can't face 2 weeks without an English breakfast there are cafes to buy one a couple of times during your holiday which is a lot cheaper and less hassle than a fine. UK also prohibits the importation of food items for health reasons. Try some new foods and broaden your horizons.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
CHESTER
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
7,037 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking own food on holiday.

Ive taken all that you mentioned Caroline,but I just take my favourite cheese now,no need to take bacon and sausage,you can get a full English breakfast with toast for just under £2,thats back bacon and English sausages and Heinz baked beans lol.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking own food on holiday.

Many thanks for all the reply s, its something i`ll have to think about.

Caroline.

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler