We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mossies

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,465 posts
137 reviews
Mossies

Took Sue's advice this year and bought some vitamin B2 tablets from Asda. Glad to say not one bite in 3 weeks!

Essex
Level Contributor
477 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Mossies

Gonna start taking these today too, got bitten alive in the garden yesterday!

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: Mossies

That's great news, just started taking them today, when I am away I tend to take one in the morning and one at night, as I forgot in july and I got bit as vit b only stays in your body for 24 hours, with two a day at least I know I am covered :)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Mossies

Is it vitamin b2 or b12? I'm sure I heard it was b12....

We looked for vitamin b12 in asda but couldn't see any so we got the avon sss dry oil spray, which is supposed to work really well.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,465 posts
137 reviews
4. Re: Mossies

The one I bought is Asda Vitamin B. White bottle with red lid (90 tablets). Take 1 a day for approx 2 weeks before you go and 1 a day during your stay.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Mossies

Dont rely on Avon SSS alone as it doesnt work for me.

I buy the local repellent,Sinkov available in all small shops and supermarkets for around 3TL

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
61 reviews
6. Re: Mossies

I use vitamin b complex, don't forget any while you are away, I take one in the morning and one at night

Glasgow
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Mossies

Thanks for the advice knitter, i'll need to look out for that. Locals know best and all that ;-)

To be honest it's more for my partner and kids as I have never had any problems abroad. Maybe it's just because I run away like a big jessie at the sight of anything bug-like that is remotely threatening lol! Seriously though, I think I must have the wrong blood-type for critters as even the midgies up here in Scotland bypass me, and those things are notorious.

I've had 1 single insect encounter abroad when I caught a bee between my teeth whilst riding a moped on Rhodes. I seen it coming, but at 40mph or whatever the top speed was, there was no getting out of the way. I could actually feel the 'fur' on my tongue and taste the nectar but managed to spit it out before it could cause me any damage lol. Even more surprising is that I managed to keep the bike upright during all of this, my fiancee at the time was hanging on for dear life as I swerved all over the place trying to avoid, then spit this thing out lol!

For me that was 1 encounter too many, so I'll continue to be a jessie at any opportunity! :-)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Mossies

Another tip proven to work is wear light coloured clothing and avoid bananas!

The mossies are attracted to people who eat bananas!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Mossies

LOL bananas? How did you hear of this? My missus loves them, she will be distraught lol!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Mossies

Have a look on Google!

I found it by looking for Vit B

Edited: 05 September 2012, 02:40
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations