We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Icmeler and New Icmeler

Coventry
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Old Icmeler and New Icmeler

Hello All,

I was just wondering if someone could explain the old village in Icmeler. I have heard it a few times and am a little unclear as to what and where it is.

I am staying in Palm Garden apartments so am I in old or new?

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Palm Garden Apartments
Palm Garden Apartments
583 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Surrey
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Icmeler and New Icmeler

I am not sure where Palm Gardens is but if you know Icmeler, I can only explain that the Old Village kind of starts from say where the old Ozzy's restaurant used to be? If you walk down the main street up past Romance, past Lal, past Babadan Apartments, keep going until Lovestar on the corner and I would say that going either way on that road will take you into the older part of town.

Going straight ahead will take you right up into the Old Village, following the mountain backdrop. If you don't know Icmeler you will not know what on earth I am going on about. In that case, I'm sorry if I've not helped.

Mentioned in this post
Babadan Hotel & Apartments
Babadan Hotel...
386 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Handforth, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Icmeler and New Icmeler

Here is a map I have created which shows the location of the Palm Gardens and also shows the location of the Top Ten TA recommended restaurants.

I pinched Paul's Icmeler master showing everything and adapted it to my needs.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms…

Hopefully someone can use this to explain to Jo R and to me where old and new starts/finishes as I'd like to know as well.

Edited: 13 June 2012, 21:17
Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
North west
Level Contributor
517 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Icmeler and New Icmeler

Im not brilliant at directions but think there is a mistake on the map. The Grand Aquarium is opposite Eden Gardens, yet on the map they are at seperate ends.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Aquarium
Grand Aquarium
836 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Icmeler and New Icmeler

What is left of the original Old Village is in the relatively small area around the old mosque. I would reckon you could walk round the whole area in about 15 - 20 minutes. What a lot of visitors refer to as the Old Village is the whole area from the main road at the top of the square back towards the mountains. You will still find pockets of village life and you will see some smallholdings and a lot of Turks live in the more modern apartments and villas there. However over the last 15-20 years most of the smallholdings have been bought over and restaurants, villas and apartments built on them.

Just over a week ago while in Captain Sinbad next to the mosque, in the space of 10 minutes, while having a coffee, I first saw a women walking down the road with her goat then another woman appeared with a bundle of lemon grass on her back. The centre of Icmeler seemed a million miles away.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Coventry
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Icmeler and New Icmeler

Hello all,

No I have never been before and I am a little nervous. I have been going to the same resort in Turkey for 8 years and know it like the back of my hand.

I have two weeks to explore icmeler so I am sure I will have time to find all these places!

Thank you for the map and advice :-)

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Icmeler and New Icmeler

Here's the best way to find the old part of Icmeler from the center of the Town, Walk past the 3 Banks on your right hand side and cross the road and look for a Jeweller called Aura turn right just before it this street name is 75 Yil Caddesi walk up that road passing Romance restuaraunt on your right then Robin hood restuaraunt on your left stay on your left walk over the small roundabout and turn left at the traffic lights walk past Bahar pizza on your left and then walk past Sun village apartments also on your left continue straight on and you will pass a dry canal that is the start of the Old village you will then pass Captain sinbads restauraunt on your right hand side at the end of the old part is the Secondary school.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Bahar
Bahar
331 Reviews
Fethiye, Turkey
Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Icmeler and New Icmeler

A bit confusing for anyone who doesn't know this area of Icmeler. I think it easier to go to the main road at the top of the square, go left along this road and head for the mosque which is in the heart of the Old Village.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Icmeler and New Icmeler

Its is confusing for a first timer, there were three banks on the left as you walk away from tansas into the centre, now there is one on either side and one slightly further up as you go towards Babadan Hotel to the centre where the square is, with your back to the beach, walk and Kapmar hotel is on your left then Masala restaurant on right, then cross the road and you will see the jewellers, then walk towards the mosque and you will find it

Mentioned in this post
Babadan Hotel & Apartments
Babadan Hotel...
386 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Kapmar Hotel
Kapmar Hotel
607 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,967 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Icmeler and New Icmeler

I agree with Iain - the area up around the mosque is lovely. Just strolling around there is almost like being in a different world although you're only a short distance from the main heart of Icmeler. The locals are lovely too - especially if you attempt a few words of Turkish, even just a "merhaba" or "gunaydin".

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Icmeler and New Icmeler

I love staying around the old village it is so peaceful, as blondiescot says if you can manage a few Turkish words the locals are very happy. Some locals will come out of their gardens and give you some fruit or vegetables they are growing

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler