We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will the chefs weight carbohydrates

Radstock, United...
Level Contributor
197 posts
20 reviews
Will the chefs weight carbohydrates

I know a silly question,but hubbie is type 1 diabetic and has just completed the daphne course for diabetics .He now has to weight his carbs to know what insulin to take and is on a completely new regime and we don't want it to be messed up.so will they weight the carbs

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,207 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Will the chefs weight carbohydrates

I very much doubt it Anita.

Why dont you take a small set of scales like the weight watchers version and some cling film so you can weight it yourselves?

It may seem a bit of a faff but better than not having the carbs weighed.

Radstock, United...
Level Contributor
197 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Will the chefs weight carbohydrates

Oh thanks for that,it is a pain but will have to do something ,don't want him I'll on holiday as he is now bless him.If anyone can ask for me before we go in September would be brill

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Will the chefs weight carbohydrates

hi Anita p,i have been type 1 for forty yrs and i am still learning the do's & donts, i dont no if your husband has a booklet called carbohydrate portions(cp's)list it has carbohydrate values of food in it,if not ask his dietition for one it is simple to follow.hope this helps,if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.Lee

Radstock, United...
Level Contributor
197 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Will the chefs weight carbohydrates

HI leem,hubby's on a new regime now ,it's quite new and not a lot of diabetics know about there's only a few hundred I think that are on the daphne.He now can eat anything (but he's not)and only has to take insulin when eating carbs,anything else without carbs he doesn't need insulin which is good.he has to know the weight of the carbs as it has to match his insulin.hes only been on it a couple of weeks and has been quite poorly loads hypos highs and ketones ,been a bit more stable today though.hope that makes sense.he knows all about the cps and has the books but it still has to be weighed,cos you can't really tell from a photo,thanks

Edited: 02 June 2012, 02:13
Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Will the chefs weight carbohydrates

Anita,i have been on the same system for 2yrs now & it is a lot better, if he has been type 1 for a while you should really no how many carbs are in what. i.e.1 scoop of potato = 10grams so that is 1 unit of insulin,1 slice of white bread =20carbs =2 units & so on,what i am tryin to say is it would be lot easier to take the booklet & after a meal count up how many carbs he has eaten & take insulin to suit,i no it'll be hard for him but once he gets the hang of it it really is a better way of life,try not to worry to much & have a great holiday.Lee

Radstock, United...
Level Contributor
197 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Will the chefs weight carbohydrates

Thanks lee,yep he knows but just all new now,oh u have done the daphne course then,it don't have open up your eyes about diabetes .just a pain in the butt at the moment.its if he's a new diabetic ,he has been for about 20 years.he went the doctors today and the didn't have a clue what he was on about and he's now got gastroenteritis now thanks to having taken the daphne corse in hospital .we will get there .niw his sugars have shot right up again here we go again lol

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Will the chefs weight carbohydrates

Sorry to hear that Anita,all i can say is stick at it it will get better,take care & good luck,Lee

8. Re: Will the chefs weight carbohydrates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 01:11
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations