We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report -' Icmeler in April'

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report -' Icmeler in April'

I'll do this in several instalments. Here's the first:

Dates: 9-19 April

Flight: EasyJet from LGW.

Flight Cost: £153 return per person, including 1 x 20 Kg hold baggage.

Dalaman Airport: Flight touched down at 2055, and we were in our transfer vehicle by 2115.

Transfer: DM Transfers. Booked online. 1 way booking only using their cheapest private transfer for 2 Pax. Cost £37.

Transfer Vehicle: To our pleasant surprise we’d been given a new Mercedes Vito people carrier.

Transfer experience: The weather was absolutely atrocious, heavy rain and very strong winds. At times the roads had surface rain, which made driving difficult, particularly as some of the roads between Dalaman and Marmaris are pot-holed. However the driver was excellent. Towards the end of the journey the driver received a mobile call from his boss for us. He asked how the transfer had been and what the driver was like. Overall, from our experience I’d say that DM Transfers are as good as anyone else, and better than a lot. We paid the driver in £sterling, and gave him a TL10 tip.

Accommodation: Ayra Apartments, Icmeler. We arrived at 2255, and were greeted as soon as the transfer vehicle arrived. Within seconds we were in our 1 bedroom apartment double bed (very comfy) and a single sofa bed (in the lounge/kitchenette) The apartment was spotless, and had a nice balcony facing the road and pine forests in the distance. You could get dozens of channels on the telly, but nothing to get excited about other than Aljazeera news in English. The only fault I could find with the apartment was that we only had a single portable electric hob, which could be challenging if you wanted to do much cooking. There were also one or two useful utensils which weren’t provided, but we had a bit of foresight and took stuff like a spud-peeler and can-opener. Two bedroom apartments have double portable electric hobs. The apartment was services daily, and a couple of TL left for the maid every day or so was gratefully received.

Mentioned in this post
Dalaman Airport
Dalaman Airport
Dalaman, Turkey
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report -' Icmeler in April'

thanks Lancasterlad for your report, glad you liked the ayra, we loved it, look forward to the next one

sue

Level Contributor
145 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report -' Icmeler in April'

Roll on part 2

thanks enjoy getting as much info about a place

and also from different peoples viewpoints

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report -' Icmeler in April'

Part 2 - Let's get the unpredictable April weather out of the way:

As I mentioned earlier the weather on arrival on 9 April was atrocious. Late evening inward flights were diverted from Dalaman to Rhodes!

Not long after we arrived at the Arya Apartments we were unpacking, and all of a sudden the electricity went, inside and outside. Complete blackout, not much fun if you are in completely unfamiliar surrounds, even if it’s indoors. Fortunately we had a couple of wind-up torches, which go everywhere with us just in case the lights go out. And it’s not the first time they’ve helped get us out of a pickle abroad. So that’s one good tip, take a torch just in case.

That first night while we slept you could hear the rain bouncing off the roof tiles, and the vicious wind swirling.

10 April: Overcast start, but at least the wind had subsided. Sporadic showers and chilly. Glad we’d brought decent fleeces and a brolly! Though, whatever the weather is like I’m still wearing my flowery shorts from Hichens in Morecambe!

11 April: Sunny, clear, but chilly start. It soon warms up, and it’s a very pleasant day.

12 April: Sunny, chilly breeze.

13 April: Sunny and cloudy, breezy.

14 April: Grey and breezy, with rain threatening. In the afternoon it absolutely chucks it down, accompanied by very strong winds. Carries on throughout the evening and night. That afternoon was the Liverpool v Everton FA Cup semi-final at Wembley. We watched it at the Picadilly Bar in Marmaris, and it was weird seeing Wembley basked in sunshine while we in Marmaris were getting battered by storms. Lots of daft Brits wandering around in shorts and T-shirts getting soaked as well, but they looked happy!

15 April: Sunny, very warm with a refreshing breeze.

16 April: Another glorious day.

17 April: Sunny and warm, but breezy. Very windy later on.

18 April: Gloomy and looking threatening. Clears up for a while and gets warm. Late afternoon the wind gets very strong and the heavens open up big time. Carries on all evening.

19 April: Overcast and chilly. Time to move on to Calis Beach (Fethiye).

Make of that lot what you will. But I reckon that going anywhere whenever there is a very good chance of unpredictable weather you should be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Edited: 05 May 2012, 12:00
Mentioned in this post
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Arya Hotel
Arya Hotel
155 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Wembley Restaurant & Bar
Wembley Restaurant & Bar
1,161 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Calis Beach
Calis Beach
1,752 Reviews
Fethiye, Turkey
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report -' Icmeler in April'

Our first day impressions of Icmeler?

When we got up on our first morning (10 April) we opened the curtains, and were awestruck at the beauty of the pine forests that provide a dramatic back-drop to the town.

By 0830 after our weeties, we made sure we were suitably clad for a day exploring the town in dodgy weather.

It was overcast and chilly, but we weren’t bothered. Out immediate impression apart from the beauty of the back-drop was how quiet the place was. We walked down to the canal (opposite Florida Restaurant), and followed the canal down to the seafront. Construction of the new small individual shopping outlets by the canal were at an advanced stage. Infact, it soon become abvious that not very much was open at all. We had been warned by regulars on TA that might be the case, but we were there and a relative‘ghost town’ wasn't going to dampen our holiday. In fact, having the place almost to ourselves was quite an attraction.

There was much activity by local workers getting practically everywhere and everything up-and-running for the imminent season. Painting, cleaning, gardening, re-building, and refitting. It was the same down practically every street, though one or two places looked as though they'd have too much to do before 1 May.

The outward vista from all points of the sea-front was sublime, and seeing Marmaris in the distance I knew it wouldn’t be long before we tried out the coastal path. Icmeler beach is coarse and gritty, there was quite a lot of litter, and it was a bit of an eye-sore, but that improved later in our stay.

The water taxi to Marmaris was working, but had precious little custom. And it must have been well chilly and choppy out in Bay.

The town square, opposite Tandoori Sizzler, looked interesting. It was obvious that a tremendous amount of money was being thrown at that area to provide the focal point of the town. We later found out that the opening ceremony, with free food, and lots of entertainment would be on the Sunday while we were there. So that gave us something to look forward to.

We found the Tansas supermarket, and got a few bits. By late morning it had started to rain so we returned to our apartment for some lunch.

In the afternoon we were out again, dodging showers, and when we could, taking the chance to sit and enjoy the beautiful scenery from the promenade. We also found somewhere that suited our budget to eat out that evening. Bought a couple or three bottles of Efes from Tansas for our room.

That evening we went to Alin’s Grill to eat. Very nice place close to Tansas, pleasant staff, and most importantly restaurant food at café prices. There was plenty on the menu, and a main course + bottle of Efes each costs between TL30-40 for two.

After that we had a brisk walk into the centre, but it was very, very quiet. The only other places that seemed to be doing any trade were the Love Boat Restaurant, and the Florida Restaurant. We never ate in either during our stay, the Love Boat looked a bit OTT, I can understand why it’s very popular though, but not for us. We avoided the Florida like the plague as there was always a tout outside, and touts get on my nerves.

Back to the apartment, and one for the road on the balcony (with our fleece and woolly hats on!).

Tomorrow, weather permitting, a walk to Marmaris.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Icmeler Beach
Icmeler Beach
2,751 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
The Love Boat
The Love Boat
908 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report -' Icmeler in April'

Thanks Lancaster lad excellent review

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report -' Icmeler in April'

Tvm Sue.

I've got another 8 days in Icmeler to waffle about yet!

I reckon my postings will soon become a recognised cure for insomnia!!

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
CHESTER
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
7,037 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report -' Icmeler in April'

LancasterLad keep waffling..really enjoying reading your reviews.

southport
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report -' Icmeler in April'

Me too love you report so far :)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report -' Icmeler in April'

Shame you didnt try Florida as the food is good and very reasonable.

Usually "Billy"is outside and if we pass and are not going to eat there we just tell him not today.

I enjoyed reading your parts 1&2 and has convinced me not to visit Icmeler in the early season.

We love October there when everything is winding down.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report -' Icmeler in April'

LL, just love reading your waffle....sorry......trip reports:-)

Get answers to your questions about Icmeler