We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Turkey not sure Marmaris or Icmeler?

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
New to Turkey not sure Marmaris or Icmeler?

Hi guys simple question which is best for 2 adults and 2 kids (10&8yrs) Marmaris or Icelmer??

Looking for hotel or apartment that is close to family bars with entertainment so that we can walk there and back , child friendly restaurants, a nice busy buzz but not manic. Would love to be close to beach too.

Is it best to do apartment or half board ? Air con a must and a nice big pool with a choice of entertainment if the kids need it.

Any ideas be great, want to get this booked soon, so that we can look forward to it :)

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Angus
Level Contributor
267 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Turkey not sure Marmaris or Icmeler?

We had our first visit to Turkey this year with extended family and went to The Palm Garden Apartments in Icmeler with kids aged, 4,6,7 and 14 and they all loved it . It is only a few minutes walk to the nearest bar / restaurant, and under 10 min walk to the beach. THe hotel has 2 slides so is great for the kids, the staff were great with the kids also !! They have special party nights twice a week and well worth going to. See my review under Palm Gardens. Any questions feel free to ask : )

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Palm Garden Apartments
Palm Garden Apartments
583 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
lincolnshire
Level Contributor
416 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Turkey not sure Marmaris or Icmeler?

Icmeler without a doubt. Two years ago we were in the same position as you. Never been to Turkey and could not decide between Icmeler and Marmaris. Chose Icmeler and have been back four times since!!!! Every time we visit Icmeler we spend a few hours in Marmaris - and every time we are pleased to return to Icmeler.

Also, go self catering or b and b. The restaurants are brilliant and we have only ever had one bad meal the whole time we have been visiting. You will love it!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Turkey not sure Marmaris or Icmeler?

For a first visit to Turkey I think Icmeler would be a good choice. Not as big as Marmaris but still a fairly large resort with the centre/beach being walkable from most apartments and hotels. All bars and restaurants are family friendly and offer entertainment and you will also find plenty of trips and excursions which are suitable for a family.Marmaris is also only 20 minutes away on the dolmus and well worth a visit. Marmaris also has a couple of waterparks which would obviously appeal to the youngsters.

If you are considering Marmaris I would suggest you look at the Armatulan area which has some nice hotels and I think the area is more suited to your needs. If you go on to the Marmaris forum I'm sure you will get plenty of advice from the regulars there.

I personally find Marmaris just too big and it doesn't offer me anything that I can't find in Icmeler.

Edited: 10 November 2011, 02:03
Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Turkey not sure Marmaris or Icmeler?

Fantastic advice many thanks to all of you. Last question would you book through a tour operator or try and do it yourself? Icmeler here we come..

First time and all that to a new country do you think we need a rep..just incase?

edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to Turkey not sure Marmaris or Icmeler?

We went with a TO for our first visit to Turkey, but since then, we've done it independently and never had any problems. Just do your research beforehand and you should be fine. There are plenty of people on here who are a mine of useful information and will be happy to help you if required.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to Turkey not sure Marmaris or Icmeler?

There's no question - it is Icmeler ! First went to Marmaris 15 years ago but it is too much like Blackpool for me. Icmeler is great - just a nice size, busy with lots of nice bars and restaurants and a lovely beach and easy to walk around it. Great for all ages and a great atmosphere.

You can always go to Marmaris for the day, the market is always good.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to Turkey not sure Marmaris or Icmeler?

Forgot to say in my last post - do apartment and not half board as there are lots of lovely places to eat out and all apartments have air con now as it can be very hot in the summer. Last time we were there in August there was a heat wave and it was over 52C!

Angus
Level Contributor
267 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to Turkey not sure Marmaris or Icmeler?

We did go through Thomsons, but REP who was he/she no idea !!! The owner of our hotel Ali and his brother Sebastian were a great help don't see the need for REPS myself in Turkey as the hotel owners and staff seem to bend over backwards to help you anyway they can , where as the REP in the case of the hotel we went to seemed very lazy and did not make any effort with the Thomson/First Choice customers staying at the hotel !!

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New to Turkey not sure Marmaris or Icmeler?

In October we booked our Icmeler holiday with Hays travel who are an Independent agent.

We had a Thomson Flight,transfers with Hays/Connex and the apartment with Med Hotels.

This worked out cheaper than booking it ourselves.

We didnt have a rep but we have been going to Turkey for 20 years.

Everyone is so helpful and friendly and will advise you on the best restaurants etc.

Edited: 12 November 2011, 04:46
Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
662 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New to Turkey not sure Marmaris or Icmeler?

Most definetly Icmeler, we have stayed in both places and wont return to Marmaris, Icmeler has a much nicer feel to it!!

I would ony ever go self catering tho as there are soo many nice places to eat and it is so cheap!! Cant go wrong with Icmeler, we liked it so much in June we returned for two weeks in October - roll on next year!!

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler