We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Turkey

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
First time to Turkey

Hi guys,

I am about to book 2 weeks away to Icmeler for the first 2 weeks in August for me and the girlfriend, so I am looking for some information from people who have been there before. We are planning on staying the the Yade Hotel, which have pretty good reviews so happy with that.

Regarding money, should I change euro to lira before we travel? or should I wait until we get there? I heard some people saying we get a better rate in Turkey (is there not a bigger chance of getting scammed or ripped off?). Also, what budget per day would we get away with? (50-100 euro per day?) We are not big drinkers. How much on average are meals, drinks etc?

Apart from the beach, what is there to do for couples? Is there excursions to near by cities etc. you would recommend?

Cheers!

11 replies to this topic
Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
213 reviews
101 helpful votes
1. Re: First time to Turkey

Hi and welcome - I am sure you will have a great holiday. The Yade is very centrally located, so you've got plenty of bars, shops and restaurants right on your doorstep. Usually you will get a better rate of exchange in Turkey than at home - don't use the actual change offices, which are notorious for ripping people off, but instead, change your money in the little minimarkets, bars or restaurants. Just ask what rate they are offering and watch them count it out in front of you.

Eating and drinking can be as cheap as you want it, to be honest - Icmeler has a wide variety of bars and restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets. If you eat in the little Turkish places where the locals go, for instance, the food is excellent and very cheap indeed.

As for excursions, there is a wide range - everything from jeep safaris and lazy day boat trips to village tours and trips further afield to historic sites like Ephesus and Pamukkale. You can also get the ferry from Marmaris to Rhodes for the day. You can get the dolmus or water taxi into Marmaris - or even walk along the coastal path there.

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
2. Re: First time to Turkey

thanks a lot for the reply. sounds fantastic! we are looking forward to it now

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
19 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: First time to Turkey

We tend to take some Lira with us, and also change Sterling to Lira locally when we get there, as you get a better rate in supermarkets or bars and restaurants. As for trips, there is plenty of choice, ranging from short jaunts to all day and even overnight trips, depends on what you require. Bear in mind it will be scorching hot at that time, so take plenty of lotion, and keep well hydrated.

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: First time to Turkey

Turkey is the best, but make sure you get the visa from the gov site Hun!

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
213 reviews
101 helpful votes
5. Re: First time to Turkey

Yes, only use the official evisa site - www.evisa.gov.tr

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
47 reviews
70 helpful votes
6. Re: First time to Turkey

Great advise from others so far. Also look to right side of page which will give you ideas on trips etc

Main thing to watch for in August is the temperatures. It can get ridiculously hot at times with temps in low to mid 40's. Drink plenty water and make sure you have air con in your room. There is normally a charge for this typically about £35 per week

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
230 posts
12 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: First time to Turkey

Darego90 I have sent you a pm. Hope it helps.

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
8. Re: First time to Turkey

thanks for all the replies guys. regarding the visa, when should we apply if we are going in august? also is it hard to get a turkish visa? do they do background checks or anything like that?

Edited: 20 January 2019, 23:04
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
4,628 posts
13 reviews
19 helpful votes
9. Re: First time to Turkey

The evisa takes about 5-10 minutes. Unless you're an Interpol list or something like that, you have no need to worrry.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
47 reviews
70 helpful votes
10. Re: First time to Turkey

If you are going in August you can apply arounf July. The visa is valid for 180 days. It is straightforward to complete takes 5-10 mins and cost $20 dollars which is about £17 at todays exchange rates. You need a visa for each person travelling

Make sure you ONLY use the official website otherwise you will be charged considerably more, Link below

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Have a look at the right side of this page for some tips for Icmeler and Turkey in general

Reply to: First time to Turkey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler