We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Icmeler really like

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
What is Icmeler really like

Thinking of going to Icmeler in August and just wondering how hot this could get. Also have heard it's a bit like Blackpool only in Turkey and just wondering if its true. Basically looking for a clear idea of what it's like. I generally like quieter small resorts were restaurants will be serving more Turkish than English food, any advice gratefully received.

18 replies to this topic
Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
214 reviews
1. Re: What is Icmeler really like

It's certainly not like Blackpool, that's for sure. I for one wouldn't have been going for more years than I care to remember if it was. Yes, there are more touristy restaurants with English breakfasts etc, but there are also some lovely little traditionally Turkish restaurants too. In a similar vein, there are louder, lively bars and some quieter chilled out places too. The old village area is quieter than the centre of the resort. As for the weather, August will be hot, hot, hot! If you really want a small, quiet resort, you could look at Turunc or Akyaka.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: What is Icmeler really like

Thanks for such a quick reply, will take on your recommendations but just wondering if going maybe in September might be better as im not great in very hot weather, anything over 26/27 and I'm useless!!!

Thornton, Lancs
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: What is Icmeler really like

August in Icmeler will always be over 30 degrees (and often 35+)....and as BlondieScot has said it's nothing like Blackpool.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: What is Icmeler really like

This is the second time I've heard a Turkish resort beng compared to Blackpool this year, only the last time it was Marmaris, I think. Is this a neologism showing admiration for the place, along the lines of sick meaning great and thick meaning curvy? ("Darling, you just have to go to Cap St-Jean Ferrat - it's just like Blackpool!") If so, thanks. ;)

Edited: 13 October 2018, 01:32
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
227 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: What is Icmeler really like

If you are useless above 26/27 I would say late September/early October would be best as early September tends to be high 20s to low 30s.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: What is Icmeler really like

No offense to the OP, but what is it with people saying Turkish resorts are like Blackpool in the sun.

Not even going to try and defend Turkey, Icmeler or Hisaronu (where this was suggested before) as there's no need to.

What I will say is, there's only 1 Blackpool and thankfully that's it.

No Blackpool in Spain, Greece, Turkey or anywhere else......and certainly no Blackpool in the sun!

Cheers Adam

Edited: 13 October 2018, 03:17
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: What is Icmeler really like

@tburleton, the above post wasn't targeted at you.

To answer your question, Icmeler is a fantastic place with a mixture of old Turkey and new tourist Turkey and is a resort that is big enough to have variation but small enough to be able to walk from one end to the other whilst enjoying everything it has to offer.

There's plenty of restaurants that serve to English tastes, but lots of restaurants that cater for local requirements.

From the topic you have created I would say Icmeler certainly caters for your requirements and it would be somewhere that you would enjoy just as much as me and the better half did when we visited in June this year.

Cheers Adam

London, England...
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: What is Icmeler really like

Everyone is entitled to their opinions of course so I will add mine.

I'm still somewhat of an Icmeler virgin, having been for only the last 4 years so I can try and give an honest opinion.

It's nothing like Blackpool, it's a wonderful little resort. Yes there are some touristy places but you would get that everywhere.

Sometimes the hassle from restaurant owners and shop sellers can get to much, it gets tiring and its the reason I don't really venture into Marmaris anymore while in Turkey as the hassle is much much less in Icmeler. Of course there is a bit of hassle in Icmeler but usually a firm no thanks will do, although we did have someone who wouldn't take a no for an answer this year cursing in turkish but it's something we have got used too.

The place is nice, quite sometimes and set in beautiful settings. In my opinion people are referring to it as Blackpool because of Coco Beach (the beach on the front), which in the height of summer, in my opinion, can look like Blackpool beach. So many people crammed onto the beach.

I'm trying somewhere else next year, as one would like to travel and you can only go so many times before getting a bit bored even though its a lovely place. Many people go year after year.

As for the weather, we went a bit late this year, 21st September - 5th October. The days were still hot, like really hot 30's, there was also that little Medicane that was a sight. Never seen such rain and thunder in my life.

There are so many restaurants to choose from and like someone mentioned they all cater for different tastes.

Go, you will enjoy it. I remember the first time I went and it kept me coming back for four years in a row.

Edited: 13 October 2018, 15:30
Eastleigh, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: What is Icmeler really like

Antony D, a very good post, i could have written a lot of that myself.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
80 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: What is Icmeler really like

Hi Adam thanks for the reply, I've been to Kalkan for a number of years and thought you enjoyed all it had to offer but felt a change was required and Icmeler seemed an idea but I was told by somebody in our local who'd been there they felt it was like Blackpool I did feel maybe I should take that with a pinch of salt and ask the question on trip advisor and after the replys to my enquiry I'm pleased I did as everyone has agreed that it's worth holidaying there.

Reply to: What is Icmeler really like
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations