We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ordered lira

Level Contributor
147 posts
Ordered lira

Anybody going soon and ordered lira would check who they ordered with as just had call from Tesco meant to pick up on Thursday and told would get refund or wait until delivery fortunately I'm not going until next year but fear for people going soon hopefully plenty in resorts

25 replies to this topic
Spalding, United...
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: Ordered lira

we are due to pick up from Tesco on Thursday,not had a call yet.

Level Contributor
147 posts
2. Re: Ordered lira

Hopefully your branch ok

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
46 reviews
3. Re: Ordered lira

Went to collect mine from Tesco today, waited in a big queue only to realise I had not brought the card that i had bought the lira with,

Ah well back tomorrow with correct card this time

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
321 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Ordered lira

Due to collect mine on Thursday from Tesco but they rang today saying it might not be ready. I don't go for 4 weeks so they gave me the option of waiting until they receive the currency (rate on purchase was 7.83) or cancelling it. Interesting times.

Danny

uk
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Ordered lira

Post Office also waiting for replenishment of stock, unable to order from them today

Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Ordered lira

As a means of propping up the value of the lira, the Turkish banking regulatory authority has made it very difficult to obtain lira outside Turkey. (If you're interested in why and how, I can explain later.)

You will just have to exchange some small anount of sterling into liras if you can; failing that you can exchange a little at the airport when you arrive and more (at better rates than you'll get at the airport, I'm sure) as you need to. There's no shortage of lira *within* Turkey. :)

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Ordered lira

Good to hear! Never got Turkish lira the same rate at home as we did in resort, until this year! Still only changed a little here before we went in July though.

Out of curiosity, can exchange places offer rates that they want now or do they they have to stick close to what the Doviz rates are?

Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Ordered lira

Exchange places could always offer whatever rates they liked. Under normal circumstances, the degree of closeness to the market rate would be determined by competition. I.e. you'd get excellent rates in the bigger cities (probably the very best being near the Grand Bazaar) and progressively worse in smaller towns and villages.

What you may find now is is a very large difference between buying and selling prices. I saw change offices in Istanbul buying dollars for seven lira, and selling at six liras to the dollar. Normally, the margins would be much tighter - eg 6.48 / 6.52 or something. But with the currency acting like a yoyo, that's only to be expected.

Edited: 15 August 2018, 11:50
manchester
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
109 reviews
9. Re: Ordered lira

Just had my lire delivered from Tesco and John Lewis 😁

Spalding, United...
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
90 reviews
10. Re: Ordered lira