We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunbed Etiquette

Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sunbed Etiquette

Hi there, I thought I would post this question to raise discussion around the Etiquette on Sunbed reservation.

I have recently returned from A 14 night stay in Icmeler which was again wonderful. We decided that after a tough year we were going to stay around the pool during the day therefore I entered into the 'sunbed reservation race,'

One particular morning I reserved my beds at 7am and returned to my room, I returned just after 9am to find my towel thrown onto the adjacent bed I had reserved for my daughter, the person who had taken up residence on the bed was approaching therefore I asked them 'did you take the bed?' their response being 'I promise you I didn't'.

I did not respond as on holiday and did not want a scene however went away to find a chair annoyed (no sunbeds left).

As human nature always prevails, the accused person was then given up by various parties of the apartments.

This then brings me to discussion topic, as the person had been voluntarily 'dobbed in', which made me chuckle, I thought had they actually done anything wrong, there is no law or policy on sunbed reservation just an ethical reasoning that a towel means reserved.

My own opinion is that if I was as confident (nicest term I could think of) as the person in question, would I have done the same, possibly not but that's on me and not their fault.

So I guess the debate is:-

1. When is a sunbed reserved?

2. Is it acceptable for towels to be removed if sunbed not being utilised?

I'm kind of swaying to the second but would not have the Confidence to do so.

Mentioned in this post
Icmeler
Icmeler
Marmaris District, Turkey
Hotel Aqua
Hotel Aqua
#2 of 78 hotels in Icmeler
Petunya Konak Boutique Hotel
Petunya Konak Boutique Hotel
#10 of 78 hotels in Icmeler
Fortuna Beach Hotel
Fortuna Beach Hotel
#20 of 78 hotels in Icmeler
17 replies to this topic
Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,076 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunbed Etiquette

I would definitely say if a sunbed isn't being used for a reasonable period, then it's fair enough to remove the towels. Different if the person has just gone to get a bite to eat or something like that, but in a situation where people go down stupidly early and put towels on beds then disappear, then I'd have no problem removing the towels. Some hotels do have a policy that if the sunbed is unoccupied for more than an hour, say, then towels will be removed - but enforcing that is another matter altogether.

Thornton, Lancs
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunbed Etiquette

A few years ago whilst on holiday at a hotel in Majorca they applied the following rule in that sunbeds were not to be reserved until 8am earliest. They upheld this in the following way:-

1. At around 8.30am, two staff would go round the pool area. Any sunbed with a towel and not occupied was given a blue ticket, attached to the sun bed.

2. approx 30-45 mins later, same again. If sunbed still not occupied, a 2nd blue ticket attached

3. approx 30-45 mins later, same again, only staff now came with a large linen trolley, Any sunbed with a towel and not occupied at this point, towel was removed and placed into linen trolley.

The linen trolley was then placed near the bar.

did it work?? Yes, many people got annoyed (I can remember one guy jumping up and down as he'd reserved 4 beds for him and his kids at 3am and when he came down at 11.30 his towels had been removed). But it worked - those were the rules. Not perfect either.

Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunbed Etiquette

I cannot understand why would anyone get up so early on holiday, for a sunbed? we were at a place last year there was a family of 14, and they were getting up at 4 a.m. to put towels out and they would go back to bed until 11, we just went to another pool. while I am away on holiday I am on holiday, so why spoil your time worrying about what time you should go down, if everyone put their towels on when they were ready, there would not be this problem.

Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunbed Etiquette

I think that would be a very good way of managing the situation, something formal.

I think it's fair to take the towels off, I'd just want the back up of a hotel rule.

The person who took mine then reserved their bed each day and hardly used it, I was busting to repeat their actions lol

Thornton, Lancs
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunbed Etiquette

I'm with you....I'm on holiday to relax not get up at sllly o'clock for a sunbed!!

These posts relating to sunbed 'wars' also reminds me of what someone did a few years back. (BTW I'm not advocating the following 'advice' merely recanting it for others!!!)

On holiday said acquaintance got extremely 'peeved' by a group of about 10 who reserved the same sun beds every day and never appeared until after lunch time. Rather than remove the towels and have no back up from the hotel management there appeared to be a spillage on the towels of a rather sticky and syrupy soft drink - needless to say they weren't impressed when they arrived to find sticky, stained towels. It transpired that they weren't even staying in the hotel and were from another hotel but preferred the pool!!

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunbed Etiquette

I was at the Kapmar in June and witnessed the power struggle first hand. We are beach people so it didn't really bother me but by 9 am every morning almost every sunbed around the pool had been reserved, about 60 sunbeds at a rough guess, out of the 60 sunbeds about 5 were actually being used.

I saw returning guests who claimed to have been visiting the hotel for years demand their regular sunbed spots irrespective of whether they were reserved or not and even saw one guest reserving beds at 8.30 pm the previous night.

It is comical and a little embarrassing to watch, my advice would be that if you see a spot with a reserved sunbed move the bed with the towel still on it and replace it with your own reserved sunbed. You can then argue that you haven't actually removed the towel and claim ignorance that a sunbed reservation is different to a sunbed place reservation.

Mentioned in this post
Kapmar Hotel
Kapmar Hotel
621 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Coventry, UK
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunbed Etiquette

Our hotel in Rhodes a had a one hour limit, and if you went over that your towel, and anything on it, were taken to reception, where you collected it and got told off! That was bit extreme, but I'd support a two hour unused limit.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunbed Etiquette

A hotel I stayed in Sa Coma Majorca had a two hour window. Towels were removed if not used after two hours. No argument, their towels were available from the lifeguard station who were in charge of this. I wouldn't care it was one of the places that had spare beds as it was right next to the beach but people were still reserving at stupid o clock to get "the best beds". Any who tried to reserve a sun bed before 8am had their towels removed as well. It worked very well and as persons got to know the rules things became easy .

Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunbed Etiquette

... and we Brits slag the Germans off for their sunbed tactics.

Bottom line if its not been used say within 2 hours, i would say that is fair enough to remove

Eastleigh, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunbed Etiquette

One year i got into the "set alarm for 7ish to put sunbeds on the loungers at the Alvaro".

I thought about it after a couple of days and decided it was ridiculous.

So we went walkies around Icmeler, came up with 3 or 4 places that dont have a sunbed war and we now stay in them.

Mentioned in this post
Alvaro
Alvaro
390 Reviews
Icmeler, Turkey
Icmeler
Icmeler
Marmaris District, Turkey
Reply to: Sunbed Etiquette
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler